Understanding

Kevin looked at Emma intently as she relayed Clifford Blossom's will-reading from the night before. Emma leaned against a desk in the Blue & Gold office, playing with her gloves once again.

Jughead, Betty, Archie and Veronica stayed silent as Kevin continued to badger her.

After the will-reading was over, Cheryl proceeded to interrogate Emma. Just as any sister would. The one question that both her and Cheryl had in common was "Why her?"

Emma shrugged at Kevin, "Penelope just sat there smiling and then turned to me and said, 'You were always meant to be a Blossom.'"

"But what does that mean?" Kevin asked.

"I'm getting there. After Betty," She gestured towards Betty, whose arms were crossed "came up to me and asked what that was about. Cheryl, Toni and her just stared at me until Penelope whisked me away."

She shook her head and inhaled, "If I tell you guys, you have to promise to not breathe a word."

"Okay." Jughead chimed looking at Emma as she grew increasingly anxious. He moved and wrapped his arm around her shoulder, something she had missed.

Archie stepped forward, "Talk to us."

Sighing, the strawberry blonde recounted Penelope and her conversation.

"I followed her into the office, that Clifford had mainly used..."

***

Penelope walked around the office, admiring the pictures of her and her family. Slamming down the photo of Clifford and her from years ago. Emma stood silently by the door that was now closed, waiting for the woman to speak.

"Mrs. Blossom..."

"Penelope, my dear." She turned and smiled, "We have known one another long enough."

Emma nodded and swallowed hard.

Penelope had beckoned the girl near, Emma complied and stood in front of the woman as she leaned against the desk.

"You have always been so bright, Emma. So resourceful, cunning, driven. Things that are required for a leader."

Emma remained silent as Penelope patted her hands and eventually let go. "My Jason was just like that. He had so much promise. We saw something special in you two."

"What do you mean?" Emma asked quietly.

"You would have been a wonderful daughter."

Emma shook her head, "Why are you speaking in riddles? Penelope, please, why am I the beneficiary? Why not Cheryl?"

"Because, you were meant for him." Emma froze, wildly confused and taken back she shook her head as Penelope began in a dream like tone. "What a beautiful bride you would be..."

"I didn't even know Jason like that-"

"But you would have." She said pointedly.

She moved looking a family photos that littered the bookcase. "You have been with this family for years. Clifford and I notice the spark between you two when you both liked each other when you were children, but Cheryl wouldn't have it. Once you two were older, then it would be different. Clifford was preparing Jason to be with you when Cheryl told us you were coming back."

Emma sat down as she watched the woman sit next to her, "We were so upset when you left. Then we heard you may come back and we were so... elated. But Jason had already made plans with Polly Cooper and you two never saw each other again."

She remained quiet for a while, completely at a loss at how they even came across the idea of matching her and Jason.

The redheaded woman smiled. She sensed the Emma had many questions, "A penny for your thoughts, my dear?