The Verdict

"Ms. Andrews, you were one of the victims at Shadow Lake. From your point of view, what occurred that day?"

Emma stared at Sierra McCoy as she walked towards her on the witness stand. She was the last witness before closing arguments, which meant her testimony is the biggest potential for casting doubt on the prosecution's case. From the stand she could see all those in the gallery, most in support of Archie's innocence.

She was his last hope and the very thought of that scared her-- yet, Emma knew if all went well, her brother could walk out a free man.

"I had just woken up that morning at around ten. Veronica and my brother, Archie, got into a fight that day. I'm not sure about what in particular but a lot of issues had arisen regarding Veronica's father, Hiram Lodge."

"Objection. Relevance?" DA Wright stood up. The judge nodded, acknowledging her objection.

Attorney McCoy smiled, "It calls into motive."

"Sustained."

Emma exhaled with relief. "Please continue, Ms. Andrews."

"Veronica and I had gone into town that day-- a girl's day in a sense. That's when we met Cassidy."

McCoy nodded and smiled, "What was your interaction like?"

"Odd... He flirted with Veronica, then asked questions about why we were at shadow lake. That's where he learned it was just Veronica and I, unaware of the boys at home."

"Then what happened?"

The girl's eyes moved towards the jury and then to Sierra. "We had gotten into a fight later than night, mainly Veronica and I, typical friend squabble. I walked into the kitchen to cool off and found myself at gun point. Cassidy demanded Veronica to give him her bag."

Sierra nodded as Emma recalled the events in a calm manner. "Veronica then went upstairs to give Cassidy the wallet and pressed the security button. She came down and the other assailants were ready to leave-- Cassidy was not."

She looked at mother, who continued, "He grabbed me as his sort of leverage and went to smash the table. That's when he got distracted and I hit him."

McCoy nodded and moved towards her table. "The defense presents Evidence D-- the fire poker that Emma used to subdue the assailant." Turning her head, she nodded at Emma to continue.

"He didn't go down how I expected. I bolted and he chased me. That's when Archie followed him."

"And what was Archie's demeanor that night?"

"He was worried, for me, for Veronica. We both placed ourselves in harm's way at some points, but he only responded when needed." Sierra nodded, "So, what happened in the woods?"

Emma fidgeted with her gloves, this was the moment that would make or break him. "I was running and searching for an opening in the trail or somewhere to hide. I rather had gotten rid of him, then let him deal with me. I found a bush and hid, Cassidy ran passed me and that's when I saw Archie after him. Maybe less than a minute he returned and spotted me. That's when I heard the shot. Archie was holding me, no gun in sight. He was with me when Cassidy was shot."

"Thank you, Emma."

Emma watched as the District Attorney approached her. She seemed grim and menacing. Emma was unsure if she was on Hiram's payroll or truly believed the facts she presented.

"Individuals when pushed far enough can act... erratically."

"Objection. Where is the question?" Mary stood up, boldly. She had hoped that the judge would end her line of questioning for even she knew where DA was going to take this.