A Boy Who Couldn't Love

Emma quickly glanced up at the chime of Pop's door and saw Fangs breeze through. He smiled at Emma as she nodded at him before resuming her newest sketch.

She silently prayed that he wouldn't walk towards her booth, but— like clockwork— he did.

And so, she sighed quietly, "What are you doing here?" Her voice was soft, almost disinterested in nature.

"Sweet Pea wanted to meet up, so..." He watched as she continued her sketch of the quarry he had dragged her to a few times during the summer. "He didn't show again?"

Fangs spotted her alone through the windows of the dinner, and by her concentrated look, he had a feeling Jughead had left her high and dry again.

"And he won't any time soon." Fangs eyed her carefully. Emma could feel him waiting for an answer. "He broke up with me." She said in a low voice never looking up once at him.

"What?" He slid into the booth next to her. Fangs wrapped his arm around her shoulders.

Emma placed her pencil down and turned her head to look at him. "The farm poses some huge threat and I was given an ultimatum. That, of all things, was the final straw."

Fangs was in the process of joining the farm with Emma. At first, he went because Kevin asked him to tag along and after everything Fangs had endured, he found it to be a safe haven. However, once Emma started attending meetings, Sweet Pea had pulled him to the side asking his friend to keep an eye on her.

The raven-haired boy looked at the girl before him and sighed. He knew that she wasn't doing good. Kevin had pointed it out and once, Sweet Pea told him that she was showing the same signs as his mom— Fangs agreed.

Emma was one of them. She was family.

He noted her slightly reddened eyes, most likely from crying. "I'm sorry, Em."

Emma simply stared into oblivion.

"What did I do to get this?" She questioned.

Fangs watched her as she shrugged attempting to wrap her head around the matter. "I did everything right, Fangs. I supported him on everything, cared for him, listened, and loved him."

She stayed silent for a moment before inhaling deeply, "Yet it seems I am meant to end up with the worst kinds of guys." He watched as Emma shook her head staring hauntingly in front of her. "A man who can't love and a man who loved control."

"Maybe it's so one day when the right one comes around, you'll know." Fangs smiled at her softly.

She smiled at him and placed her head on his shoulder. Fangs was always the optimist of the group, a rare trait for a person who lives in Riverdale. "Wow, you really sound like Kevin, it's actually scary."

Fangs smirked at her comment. He liked Kevin, in fact, he liked him a lot. But he wouldn't admit that because after Joaquin, Kevin was slightly oblivious to him.

The two sat in silence for a bit. Emma hadn't wanted to talk and so, Fangs simply placed his head on top of her and rubbed her arm. And for those short ten minutes, Emma managed to feel slightly better.

"You know, I do miss that Quarry." Fang said softly. He could feel Emma smile as he held her closer.

"Can I tell you something?"

He nodded softly before she continued, "After you told me that it was your special place to think or to escape, I might have copied your idea."

The raven-haired boy chuckled, "If I see you sitting on my rock, Em, I will not hesitate to push in that water."