A Revelation

The Andrews twins laughed as Fred beckoned Archie to help him pick up one of the trees. A few weeks ago, Fred had proposed that the Andrews family would sell trees for Christmas as a bonding mechanism. However, they all knew it was to help alleviate their financial burden.

Jughead Narration: "Used to be, in ye olden days, every December a Lord of Misrule presided over the winter holidays called back then, the Feast of Fools."

"What do you say Pop? Is it okay?" Archie asked as Fred stood in the doorway, holding  one end of the tree.

"The best tree yet." Pop's replied. The two entered the diner while Jughead's head lifted to see Emma float in behind her dad and Archie. "Thanks, Archie. Thanks, Fred. Thanks, Emma."

"Oh, no. Thank you, Pop, for letting us set up shop in front of the diner." Fred chimed.

Pop smiled and lightly teased her, "And what is it that you are doing, Emma?"

"I prefer the role of supervising." Pop laughed at her response. Archie met eyes with Jughead and then Emma, who quickly looked away.

Archie walked towards the booth and sat across from Jughead. Emma glanced over towards the boys every so often, however, Jughead never met her gaze.

"Are you guys gonna stay in town for break?" Jughead started.

Archie nodded, "Yeah. We were gonna go up and visit my mom, but she booked a single's cruise so... Emma might go visit our grandfather for the New Year, but who knows." Jughead nodded, noting he hadn't spoken to her in days.

As the two talked about their fracture love lives, Fred stopped at the door before calling out to Jughead. "Jughead, you want a Christmas tree for you and your dad? On the house."

Emma continued out the door, not acknowledging Jughead.

Jughead shook his head, "It'll have to be a small one, Mr. A."

He nodded as he followed his daughter out knowing she was not in the greatest place with Jughead.

Jughead Narration Continued: "So Christmas was happening even though this year's Lord of Misrule was none other than the Black Hood."

***

Emma could hear Archie and her dad discussing the latest bill from Riverdale General Hospital. $98,000. That was the cost to save their lives from the Black Hood's doing. She bowed her head, knowing her dad was in a hole.

Picking up her gift from the side table, she walked towards the dining room where the two were talking. "Ready to head out, Archie? Kevin will kill us if we are late for Secret Santa."

For the majority of her holiday break, Emma waited on Jughead's call. Yet, on December 23rd Cheryl dragged her out of the house and towards a bar in Greendale with her, Archie, and Reggie in tow.

After that Emma crawled out of her small funk by late night dinners at Pop's with Kevin and a movie night with Toni before she made her trip up to Maine for New Year's.

Once they were in school, the twins parted ways.

Once situated, Emma made her way towards the student lounge. She smiled meekly at Kevin, avoiding Jughead's eye, and she sat down next to Reggie. In acknowledgement, he draped his arm casually over her.

"A gift certificate for a couples massage... Thanks, Josie." Veronica offered a painful smile.

Josie looked at Archie and Veronica awkwardly. "You can go with Betty... or your mom." Her voice wavered.