Chapter 6 c

The next morning goes by in a daze. I still haven't processed everything that happened last night. It almost feels as if it didn't happen. I walk out of my room to see my mom getting off the phone and look up to give me a look of pity. I already know what this is about.

"Did you know someone named Jeremy?" she says in a soft tone. I have to pretend that I don't know what shes talking about.

"Yeah, me and him are actually pretty good friends" I say trying to make my tone happy.

"Well last night he was murdered, I understand if you want to stay home today" my mom said solemnly. I didn't say anything as I walked back to my room. I could feel the tears prickling at my eyes. I sat back down on my bed and burst out crying.

Shuffling the stuff in my night stand I finally found my cigarettes. I took long hits at a time. The front door opened and closed and I knew that both my parents were at work now. In my buzzed state I just layed on my bed and tried not to think about anything. Do you ever feel like your thoughts are too much to handle sometimes? I stopped crying and my head felt airy. My heart felt like it wasn't beating. I heard a bang at my window and it made me jump. I got up and pulled my blinds up. I looked at the bottom of the windowsill and saw a blue baseball cap. I looked across the way to see Chase standing at his window. He crawled outside carefully and I opened my window. He stood at the end of his roof and I sat on my bed, I was close enough so I could still hear him. "Can I come over" he asks quickly, like it was hard for him to get out. I also noticed that he was playing with his fingers. That must be a nervous habit of his.

"I actually think that's a pretty good idea," I respond. I know I shouldn't be alone right now. Its been hard recently to not have a relapse. I know its mean of me to use him as a distaction, but it also seems like he doesn't care. He looks shocked that I said yes, and I could see his brown eyes light up and dance with happiness.

"Okay! Ill be over in like ten minutes" he says rushing back into the house. I laugh at his excitedness and go back through my window.

I quickly pick up my room and then go down stairs to let him in. It only takes a couple minutes and he's at my door looking nervous as ever. I let him in and then close the door behind us. I walk up to my room and he follows me.

"Do you want to watch Netflix?" I ask, feeling really awkward because we don't really know each other that well.

"Yeah that sounds good," he says. I sit on the bed and find my laptop under the covers. I fall asleep with it a lot so it's always somewhere in my bed.He awkwardly sits next to me and I log into Netflix. We choose a mystery movie and then settle into the pillows. Neither of us talk and I find myself thinking about Tyler. How would he feel if he knew that I was here with Chase right now. Why do I not care what he thinks? Chase was so kind to come over right now, and it took a lot of courage to even just ask.

We're about half way through the movie and then suddenly someone on the show gets shot. Last night came racing after me like a flood. I can feel the tears prickling at me eyes and the urge to cry becomes unbearable. The tears start coming down my face as I cry silently. Flashbacks from last night came flooding back. The gunshot, the glass, when he fell forward. I see Chase look at me out of the corner of his eye and then look down thinking about what to do.

He cautiously starts scooting closer to me on the bed. I then fill the space between us and lean on his shoulder. He seems unaware of what to do at first and then puts his arm around me. I feel safe in that moment. Like everything that happened last night was years ago. At that moment it was just him and I.

I don't notice it at first but then I find myself drifting off to sleep, while Chase is focused on the movie. His shirt is soft and his body is giving me warmth. I close my eyes and just let myself be there. I don't know how much longer later but I still wake up on Chase. I look up and he smiles at me.

"Sorry" I laugh.

"Dont be sorry that just made my day" he smiled widely. It was cute when he got excited over little things like that. If I had not been in such a bad mindset I wouldn't have fallen asleep on him.

Its a little later in the day and we both decided that he should go home. I walk him to the door and open it for him.

"Wait, can I have your number" he asks sheepishly. I smile and take his phone out of his hands. Putting in my contact and saving it under weirdo next door. He smiles and then walks back to his house.

It scares me how easily Im letting this boy into my life. Ive never been one who trusts everyone, in fact Im quite the opposite. Chase is a good boy and I dont want to change that. Hes going places in his life and it wouldn't be fair if that got taken away from him.

I walk back into my room, still thinking about Jeremy. He was one of the people that knew about my double life. I remember taking the train with him to Cidrea. Cidrea was the next town over, where the low life people stuck around. Jeremey took me there for the first time and I remember it like yesterday.

Flashback

"We're going somewhere tonight" Jeremey tells me. Its the beginning of sophomore year and hes already trying to get me into trouble.

"Where are we going?" I ask him. He ruffles his black fluffy hair and smiles.

"I want you to meet my friends."

"Are these friends that do drugs cause-" I start but he cuts me off.

"Look Rose. If youre gonna act like a badass, you have to actually play the part. Come out with me tonight please," He says giving me puppy dog eyes.

"Okay, fine. But if I get hurt!" I say laughing.

"You wont get hurt I promise."

Later that night I sneak out and see Jeremey standing at the end of my street. He said we were going to take the train to a town called Cidrea. We walked to the train station and got on. I was nervous beyond belief. Jeremey could tell so he grabs my hand. Not in a romance way, in a support way. We both knew that.

"We're going to get off in a few minutes." He says. I nod my head. He was wearing black ripped jeans and a dark red sweatshirt. I had on leggings and a bleached blue hoodie.

When the train stopped we got off, and we started to walk. It was dark tonight, I felt like we were in a very shady part of town. I don't know how long we walk, but I never let go of his hand. We eventually arrived at the house. Its a pretty nice and big house considering the neighborhood. We walked inside and I realized that my life was about to change.

We walk into a living room of sorts and I see two men. They were both hispanic, and very handsome. The taller one had his ears pierced and black hair that was longer on the top. The other man had many tattoos and looked much older.

"Hola Hermosa" the taller one said.

"Oh uh Hello" I responded. He started walking towards me but the older man stopped him.

"¿Por qué está ella aquí?" he said in a harsh tone.

"Tiago you know I dont speak Spanish" Jeremey says to the older man.

"He asked what is she doing here," the other man said.

"This is my friend Rose. I think she would really fit in here." Jeremey said. I felt more uncomfortable than I already did.

"Ella es muy bonita" The younger man said. Tiago looked at him and rolled his eyes.

"Eres un idiota" he said and then walked away.

"Sorry about Tiago, Im Jace. Pleasure to meet you" said the man with pierced ears.

"Im Rose," I say shyly. Jace walks to me and kisses my hand. I blush and laugh.

"How about we get a party started?" Jeremey says.

"Let's do it" Jace responds halfway out the door.