Chapter 27 c

My body was going through a lot of pain. If you named a body part, I would tell you it hurt. They've given me food once. Just some rice, and a few pieces of meat. Zander helped me eat it, as my hands were still tied. I got light headed whenever I opened my eyes, and I felt the need to puke. I had nothing in my system to puke though. I just gagged on air. I couldn't really feel my legs, but I knew they were still there. That was a plus I suppose. The guards switched out two times a day. Half the day I would have a man that didn't speak. The other half Zander gave me company. He would tell me what time it was. An update on the outside world. Not much, but enough to keep hope alive. The weather had been cold, and it had snowed on Tuesday. Apparently, today was Thursday. I arrived here on Monday.

The guard left through the door and in came my shaggy haired friend. His usual smile was replaced with more of a frown. Well, not a frown. More of a major concern. I opened my eyes enough to see it was him, and then closed them again. Leaving my ears to help me.

"I have something to tell you," he says. I grunt letting him know that I had heard him. It took too much effort to talk. I hear him open a bottle and his footsteps coming near me. He places it under my lip, and forces me to drink water. I gratefully accept.

"I heard Jace and Tiago fighting" he informs me. I open my eyes and look at him.

"You look like shit" he tells me.

"Thank you," I say, trying my best to smile. Zander had a good sense of humor. We've become pretty comfortable with each other.

"Anyways, when I woke up this morning there was a lot of yelling. Tiago said that he was going to kill you. Jace screamed back telling him no. Then Tiago reminded him that you shot him. Then the door was closed and they lowered their voices. Thats all I heard" he tells me. I take in all the information he just gave me. Would it really be that bad if Tiago shot me? I suppose it would. Chase would be devastated. Hes the only thing I have left.

"Thank you for telling me" I tell him and then close my eyes. My head was starting to pound.

"I brought you some ibuprofen," Zander says. I smile and he helps me swallow them.

"What are you gonna do about Tiago?" Zander asks me. He really was a curious person. I thought for a minute.

"There's someone coming to save me, like a princess in a fairytale" I say laughing. I was getting really loopy, due to dehydration. Zander looks unsure, but leaves it alone.

"My dad called me today," he says. I dont respond, but he knows I'm listening.

"He tells me he's sorry, and that Im still his hijo" I hear him walk over back to the door.

"I hung up on him," he finishes his story. I feel for Zander. He was a kid just like I was, and he deserved more than this.

"If I survive the next couple days, you can be my family" I tell him laughing. I open my eyes a little bit to look at him. Hes smiling, all his teeth showing. Our moment is ruined by the door opening. I have never been more relieved to see who it was.

Angel tips his fedora to Zander and then looks at me.

"You got a plan to get yourself out of this one too?" he asks me. He seems a little annoyed, but I know hell get over it.

"My plan was for you to show up," I explained to him.

"You look like a dumpster," he tells me. Zander chuckled behind him.

"So I've been told" I respond resting my head on my shoulders.

"If your man calls me one more time, telling me you were getting yourself killed. I might just lose it" Angel says, walking to me. I smile at him, for as much as its worth.

"Lucky for you I'm pissed" Angel says. He goes behind me and starts unting my hands. Oh, we're doing this now?

"If were leaving" I start, and then I point at Zander.

"We're taking him" I finish my sentence trying to catch my breath. Once my hands are released I hold them in front of me. My shoulders feel like I've been shot.

"That's fine I dont care. What I do care about is Tiago saying hes going to kill you today. Im leaving the gang. Im not supporting someone who turns their back on family" Angel tells me. Then he puts his arm under my body and lifts me up. I groan in pain, but he doesnt seem to care. Its nice to know that Angel still thinks of me as family.

"You ready niño?" he asks Zander. He shakes his head yes and then we leave the room. My vision gets black and fuzzy from all the sudden movement. I rest my head on Angel's chest and close my eyes. Then the yelling starts and Angel starts running. I cant really make out the whole situation, but it seemed intense. Like a James Bond movie perhaps?

The next thing I know Angel is setting me down in an alley. The same one with the dumpster. Zander sits next to me trying to catch his breath. He has blood on his face.

"Did I miss something?" I ask. He smiles at me a little bit.

"I think you blacked out," he explains.

"There's a bag behind that dumpster, will you grab it?" I say lazily, pointing my finger. He gets up and brings me my backpack. My phone and other belongings are still in it. Its dead, but at least I have it. Angel sits down next to me out of breath. He puts something in my hand, but I dont have the energy to look. Then he gets up again. I hear more yelling. I think I hear Jaces voice. Then I hear the gunshots. When everything gets quiet is when I open my eyes. I say Jace on the ground, Chase standing over him. I see Angel against the wall holding his leg. Beth seems to be tending to it. Zander stands looking around him, unsure of what to do. Chase then notices me and runs over. I notice the blood on his hands.

"I knew you would come" I laugh. He kisses my forehead and then puts his head against mine.

"You make me want to strangle you," he says.