Chapter 28 c

I sat on the grass, the sun shining on my skin. The flowers I bought were still in my hand, I was unsure if I wanted to give them to him. I stared at the headstone for a long time. Jace, friend of many. At least his gravestone didnt lie. He did have a lot of friends. I looked at the ground beneath me. It was a curious thing to think that there was a body underneath me. The night Jace died, I don't remember much. I was told afterward that it had been Angel. Jace tried to get to me in that alley, and he shot him. The cops were never involved. They never are involving the Black Diamonds. I set my hand on the dirt and closed my eyes. Jace was only six feet away from me.

"I loved you," I said. I dont know who I was talking to. Myself I guess, because Beth was waiting in the car.

"I didnt want you dead. I just wanted you away" I kept talking. I felt like I was explaining myself to myself. Which wasnt necessary, but it made me feel better.

"You've been gone for a year now. I still think about you a lot" my voice started shaking. I put the roses next to the stone and then stood up. I brushed the dirt off my pants and then walked away. I wasnt going to cry for him.

I get into the car and Beth looks at me. I stare at her, her pink hair and big eyes.

"You're okay" she said, putting the car in gear. It wasnt a question. She was more telling me that I was okay. I was fine with that though. Honestly, I was okay. We drove to our apartment. I started living with Beth, despite Chases wishes. I couldn't see myself living there. Plus he was going to college soon anyway. I was able to get emancipated by the state, and Beth and I got an apartment together.

When we arrived home Chase and Angel were sitting at our table. Who gave them the keys I don't know. Chase wrapped me in a hug, which I thankfully returned. He spends a lot of time here, which makes sense since he was my boyfriend. The week after I got out of the gang house I spent almost two weeks in the hospital. Chase was there the entire time, and when he wasnt his mom was there. His brother also visited me, which was weird.

Angel and Beth make themselves comfortable on the couch. They had also decided to officially date. It took them long enough. We were all super happy for them. Chase and I walked to my bedroom, to get some alone time. No not like that.

I layed on my bed, and he sat on my desk chair.

"Was it good?" he asked. Did he just ask me if seeing someone's gravestone was good? Sometimes this boy did not say the right things.

"Oh yeah super fun" I responded sarcastically staring at my ceiling.

"That's not what I meant," he says, standing up and joining me on the bed.

"I know baby" I say laughing. He lays next to me so I turn so that my legs on him.

"It actually wasn't bad" I tell him truthfully. I was expecting myself to be a wreck when I went to the graveyard. Chase was silent for a few seconds.

"Do you miss it?" he asks. I know he was referring to the Black Diamonds. He tried to talk to me about it about once a month.

"I have nothing to miss. Everything I want is right here."