Chapter 3 c

Its been a week since the first day of school. I haven't run into the neighbor boys. My parents have been pretty calm lately.

I opened my window and climbed out onto the roof. Some people would say its dangerous, but I haven't fallen yet, in all the years I've lived here. I started going on the roof in sixth grade. I've brought with me my sketch pad, and my pencils. I sketch when I feel I'm in a bad place. I could see the moon rising and it was so peaceful. I grabbed a cigarette out of my hoodie pocket and lit it. I know this is bad for you but its all I have at this point. I instantly started feeling a little better and was able to get Tyler off my mind. I was able to get everything off my mind. I started drawing the way the moon may look from someone lonely. An interpretation of how I feel in my life sometimes.

You ever have so many secrets you feel like you're living a double life? I wish I had been smarter in my past, but I guess its a little too late now.

I sit there thinking about my life and how much I could have changed. How different I seem to my parents, then how I actually am. The air outside gets a little colder, but I don't mind it. The little breeze felt good in my hair. It made my breaths seem more crisp and I liked it. My exposed fingers were cold from holding my pencil, but it wasn't bad enough to stop.

"Hey" a sudden voice makes me jump. I whipped my head up to see Chase at his window. I started coughing from the smoke I inhaled that had gone in the wrong way when I got scared.

"You gave me a heart attack" I laughed. He shifted his hands and then looked back at me. I could tell he was nervous by his body posture.

"Mind if I join you?" he asks uneasy. It sounded like he was unsure if he actually wanted to sit here with me. This could be a fun game though.

"Not at all" I say smiling. I put down my sketch pad, and my pencil. He slowly crawls out of his window and walks down the roof. Sitting down at the edge of it and then sighing. Our roofs weren't that far apart from each other. Five feet at the most.

"Do you sit out here a lot?" he asks, trying to make small talk. He seemed shy at first, but its brave of him to start a conversation this easy.

"Yeah actually, the night is so much more calming. You?" I respond. He seems like a night person. There is no way someone can be that hot and not be a player.

"I dont come out a lot at night actually" he responds. That's surprising, kind of interesting as well. Who is he?

"Not that type of person?" I smile at him, taking another puff of my cigarette.

"No not all he responds," shifting his body to better his balance. He wasn't lying, I could tell by the way he held himself. He also kept looking back at his window like someone was going to come yell at him. I also noticed that he was rubbing his hands on his jeans, they were probably sweaty. He must not break the rules often. What a disappointment.

"What kind of person are you?" I asked him. Its a very straightforward question. What's the point of beating around the bush right?

"What kind of question is that?" he asks, almost laughing. I laugh with him.

"Like what are you into? What are you like?" I try to explain myself.

"Well, I don't know. What about you?" He avoids the question.

"That's a no go, I asked you first." I saw him laugh to himself and then look up at the sky. We haven't really made eye contact since he came outside.

"I think Im caring."

"You think?"

"I dont know, that's a hard question." That's fair of him I guess.

"Are you and your brother going to be going to SageHigh?" I ask genuinely curious.

"Yeah we are, we're both seniors" he responds.

"Both of you?" How is that possible?

"Yeah, we're twins," He says casually.

"Oh" is all I can come up with to say. I suppose that was slightly obvious. I took a long drag from my cigarette. Taking note how he watched me, almost like he was scared, but mesmerized at the same time. There was an awkward silence for a few minutes. If I sat there another second I might have a seizure so I stood up.

"Im going to go back inside." I announced.

"Yeah me too" He says and gets up quickly scurrying to his bedroom window.

"Goodnight Chase" I said as I picked up my sketching pad,

"Goodnight Rose" he said, going back through his window.

This is going to be fun living next to an innocent boy.