Chapter 57

**Fred’s POV**

“Alex!” I run towards the carriage she’s in, but she slams the door and it moves up the slope towards the castle.

“Why won’t she listen to me?” I cry in frustration.

“Because she’s a girl,” Scarlett says from behind me, “come on, lover boy. Let’s get up to the castle.”

I follow her into a carriage, still feeling irritated.

“What will it take to get her to listen to me?” I ask.

“Time,” Scarlett replies gently, “just time. Right now she’s angry, but she won’t always be. Just give her time.”

When we reach the Gryffindor table Alex is sitting between Jace and Tommy. I fight the urge to sit with her and sit down the other end of the table.

This is going to be the death of me.

“Any luck today?”

“Nope, she’s barely left Jace’s side.”

Scarlett leans on the wall next to me.

“She’ll come around,” she says.

“Yeah? What if she doesn’t?” I ask.

“What’d you mean?”

“Well, she’s always with Jace now… What if…”

“Fred, they just hang around because they’re both muggle borns,” Scarlett says, “according to Jace neither of them heard from any of us, except each other, all summer.”

“Was that meant to make me feel better?”

Scarlett give me a scathing look.

“Well, what am I meant to do?” I ask, “I’ve given her time-”

“Come with me,” she says. We walk up to the common room where Alex and Jace are sitting together by the fireplace, looking over a piece of parchment and laughing. I feel a jolt of anger and jealousy hit me in the stomach.

“Wait here,” Scarlett says. She walks over and squats down beside Alex’s chair, talking to her in a low voice. Alex glances up at me for a second then looks at Scarlett and shakes her head.

“I’m busy,” she says. Scarlett talks to her for a few more seconds then Alex sighs and gets up. I watch her walk towards me, feeling hopeful.

“Alex,” I begin, “Al, I-”

“Fred, we’re done,” she interrupts.

“We… We’re what?” I stammer.

“Over, finished,” she says, “I just… Just…”

She looks down at her feet and I can hear her breathing getting choked and I know she’s upset.

“Alex,” I reach out to her, but she pushes me away.

“How could you just ignore me all summer?” she asks, tears sparkling in her eyes, “didn’t you know how… How… I was terrified, Fred! I had no idea what was going on and then I found out what the papers were saying!”

“Alex, I couldn’t write!” I protest, “Dumbledore made us swear-”

Alex shakes her head and walks over to Jace and Scarlett. She packs up her stuff and walks up to her dormitory. Scarlett walks over to me and touches my arm.

“I’m so sorry,” she says. I shake my head, feeling a lump in my throat.

“Let’s go down to the Quidditch pitch,” she says, “come on.”