Chapter 77

**Alex's POV**

Two days after Bill and Fleur's wedding I wake feeling shaky. Flashes of the wedding come back to me in my dreams. I sit up and swing my legs out of bed, breathing deeply. I'm covered in sweat and my hands are trembling. I pick up my wand, I don't move more than an inch without it these days, and walk down to the kitchen. Mum is sitting there with a glass of orange juice, looking tired.

"Nightmares again?" she asks me as I sit down, "I heard you crying in your sleep again."

"Yeah," I nod, pouring myself some juice and gulping it down. Mum is looking at me carefully.

"Alex-"

She's interrupted by a violent hammering on the door. I leap to my feet, feeling my stomach race to my mouth. My wand held in front of me, I head towards the front hall. The door bursts open before I reach it.

"ALEX?!"

"Fred?!"

He pulls me into a tight hug, then breaks away and runs to the back door, locking it. Jace comes in after him, locking the front door.

"What's going-"

"Alex, you've got to get out," Fred says, grabbing me by the shoulders and looking into my eyes.

"What's going on here?" Mum asks from behind me. Fred's eyes are serious and scared. I glance back at Mum and Jace then back to Fred.

"Your whole family is in danger," he says, "you've got to get out!"

"Fred, slow down," Jace says softly, "you'll just scare her."

He gently pulls Fred away from me.

"Why don't we sit down so we can explain things to both you and your mother," Jace says, "and if any other family members are here, we might as well explain it to all of you at once."

"We don't have time for this," Fred snarls. Jace looks at him.

"Fred, the ministry isn't breaking doors down yet," he says, "we have time."

Fred starts pacing while Mum calls Dad down. We all sit down in the lounge room, Fred looking agitated and Jace extremely calm.

"What's going on?" Dad asks.

"There's a war going on in the wizarding world," Jace begins.

"We know that, Alex told us all about You-Know-Who and his followers," Mum says. Jace nods once.

"Recently You-Know-Who managed to take over the Ministry of Magic," he explains, "while he is not being directly linked to it, we know that he is responsible. One of the first decrees put through was the processing of muggle borns. They have released propogander saying that muggleborns are not magical and have stolen their wands from witches or wizards. We are required to surrender our wands to the Ministry and submit to interrogation. So far most of the muggle borns have been taken to Azkaban."

"They can't do that!" I exclaim.

"They can and are," Jace continues calmly, "not only that but Hogwarts is no longer accepting muggleborns. That doesn't affect us, however. What does is the fact that if Alex does not go to the Ministry they will come to her. There have already been deaths of the families of muggleborns who have not submitted themselves for questioning. This means that not only Alex, but all of your family are in danger."

"What about you?" I ask, "you're muggle born too!"

"I know," Jace nods, "that's why I'm here. The Ministry have infiltrated the muggle transports to leave England. Luckily, we have inflitrated the infiltration. We have a space of one hour tonight to get your family out of England."