Chapter 6

**Alex’s POV**

“No, put that down!”

Professor Kettleburn hurries past me for the fourth time this lesson. I turn around to see George holding the kneeletts that we’re meant to be feeding by its tail. It doesn’t look too bothered, but Kettleburn snatches it away from him and sighs deeply.

“These creatures are delicate!” he yells, “please, treat them carefully!”

He stomps back to the front of the class, cradling the small creature gently.

“Remember!” he calls, “these kneeletts will be yours until the Christmas holidays! If it is not healthy then, you will fail this class!”

I stroke the head of my kneelett. I’ve decided to call her Rose because she’s a deep red colour. She makes a happy little squeaking noise and wiggles her nose. I want her to open her eyes because Professor Kettleburn said that when they open their eyes in front of you, it shows that they love and trust you. He also said that the first person whose kneelett opens its eyes will earn fifty points to their house.

“Psst, Alex, can we use your kneelett?” Fred whispers.

“No way!” I hiss, “you’ll kill her!”

“No we won’t!” he and George protest.

“If you two promise to be gentle, you may have your kneeletts back,” Kettleburn says.

“We will!” they chorus.

Kettleburn hands them back and both the kneeletts immediately start making their happy noise. One of them shoots up Fred’s arm to nuzzle his neck.

“See, they like us!” Fred laughs. Kettleburn rolls his eyes and walks off to check on the rest of the class.

“You and I are going to be great friends,” I tell Rose softly, “I’ll get you to trust me, I know it!”

“Take your kneelett to your dormitory, now,” Kettleburn says, “they will be fine there until after dinner. They’re your responsibility.  Take care of them!”

I walk slowly towards the castle. Fred and George are walking ahead of me, throwing their kneeletts in the air.

“Don’t! You’ll hurt them!” I cry. They turn around, grinning.

“They’re fine,” Fred tells me, “they’re tough.”

“That’s not what professor Kettleburn said!”

“Yeah, but he only has two real limbs left,” George retorts.

“What’s that got to do with anything?” Scarlett asks, joining us with her black kneelett. She and George begin arguing about the relevance of George’s comment and I look around to see what colour everyone’s’ kneeletts are. Kettleburn said that the colour of the kneelett that chooses us has got something to do with our personality. Fred and George’s are orange and yellow, because they’re bright and full of energy. I don’t know why mine is red, though.

“Why are you all so late?” Professor McGonagall is waiting outside the Transfiguration classroom for us.

“We had to take our kneeletts to our dormitories, Miss,” Felicity says. McGonagall rolls her eyes and ushers us into the classroom.

“I’m sitting next to you,” Scarlett says, slamming her books on her desk.

“What’s up with you?” I ask, digging through my bag for a quill.

“Don’t ask,” Scarlett grunts, handing me one of her spare quills.

“This year we will be working on the transfiguration of mammals,” McGonagall says, “everyone take a mouse from the box as it’s passed around.”