Chapter 23

**Alex’s POV**

Over the next week we gradually fall into a pattern of sleeping in – save Carma and I – having a late breakfast, going for a swim in a nearby creek, having a picnic lunch, playing a game of soccer, having a quiet afternoon, dinner, movie, shower, bed.

One morning close to when we’re due back at Hogwarts, I’m lying outside reading Jane Eyre when Tommy comes and sits beside me.

“You’re up early,” I say, laying my book aside.

“Yeah,” he nods, “couldn’t sleep.”

“What’s wrong?” I ask, sitting up. He picks up a leaf and begins shredding it.

“I… Al,” he looks me straight in the eye, “I’m in trouble at home.”

“What?” I ask, “what’s going on? Are they hitting you?”

“No,” he shakes his head, “but… I told them something at the start of the holidays and… And now they… They hate me…”

“I’m sure they don’t hate you,” I tell him, taking his hand and giving it a squeeze, “what did you tell them?”

“I told them that… That I’m… Alex, I’m gay,” he says quickly.

“That’s okay,” I shrug, “my brother Noah is gay.”

“I know,” Tommy says, “that’s sort of what I wanted to talk to you about.”

I feel my heart thumping in my chest. I think I know what’s coming.

“Noah… and I… sort of,” Tommy bites his lip, “we sort of… hooked up… Like, we kissed. A lot. And we’re sort of… Dating… now…”

“Oh my gosh,” I giggle, “wow…”

I cover my mouth with my hand and try not to laugh.

“What’s so funny?” Tommy asks.

“Laughter is the release of tension,” I tell him, still giggling, “oh, Tommy… You’re dating my brother! That’s so weird!”

“It makes the whole family thing worse,” he sighs, “my parents are very blood proud. They have nothing against half-bloods or muggle borns, but they want to keep the blood pure… Now I’m dating a male muggle…”

“Double fail, huh?” I joke, “don’t worry, Tommy. Noah is big and strong, he’ll stand up for you.”

Tommy looks doubtful.

“Well, I will at any rate,” I tell him. He smiles.