Chapter 84

**Alex's POV**

Christmas is quiet. Nobody feels like celebrating, despite Mrs Weasley's efforts. After lunch we all return to the living room to look through our presents again. I begin reading a new book about Quidditch that Scarlett got me when there's a banging on the door. Dedalus Diggle bursts in, twisting his hat in his hands.

"Dedalus, what's wrong?" Mr Weasley exclaims. Dedalus glances at me nervously.

"They know she's here," he says, "they're coming for he-"

There's a bang outside and I jump out of my skin. Fred peers through the window.

"Tonks," he mutters, "she shouldn't be here."

"We've got to get her out," Scarlett says, grabbing my arm.

"Excuse me," I say, pulling away, "I am not a child! I can get myself out!"

Fred looks around at me, a frown on his face. I set my chin.

"If they're coming here then I'll lead them away," I say, "I'm not endangering you all."

"Don't be stupid," George says.

"I'm not," I snap.

"Alex, you're part of the family," Fred says, "family takes care of each other!"

"Exactly!" I say, "which means I can take care of you."

I walk into the kitchen and pull on my coat and boots. They follow me, wands out.

"Alex, where will you go?" Mrs Weasley asks.

"I'll hide in the woods somewhere," I say, twisting a scarf around my neck.

"I'm coming," Fred says. I shake my head.

"Stay and take care of your family," I say, opening the door, "send me a message when it's safe."

I run across the yard and hear Fred calling for me to wait. I run past Lupin who calls to me, but I ignore him, knowing that once I get outside the fence I can apparate and Fred can't follow. I leap over the fence and turn around. Fred is running across the yard.

"Sorry," I call softly. As I twist on the spot I hear him cry out, then he's gone and I'm surrounded by trees. The air here is significantly colder than at the Burrow. It seeps in through my jacket, chilling me instantly to my bones. The snow is covering my knees, dripping into my boots. I slosh through it, hoping there's a village nearby where I can get a tent. I feel in my jacket pockets and am relieved to find my wallet. I don't have any money, but I have my card.

I walk for about an hour and finally come to a road. My legs are soaked and I'm shivering. All I can think of is getting some warm, dry clothes and a nice little tent.

Of course, all the shops are closed because it's Christmas.

I walk through the empty streets, trembling. I can stay a hotel for a couple of nights, I suppose, but I have a feeling I shouldn't stay in one place for too long. As I'm searching for a hotel I find a small supermarket that's open. It has a small clothes section where it sells underclothes and socks. I buy a few sets and some food and continue my search.

My search ends with a motel that smells of mildew and vomit. The receptionist is smoking when I walk in and blows a cloud of smoke into my face. As soon as I have my key I hurry out, hoping the room smells better.

It doesn't.

But it's warm and I know I can clean it up. I conjure up some flowers and spread them around the room. It's not so bad once you get used to it.

____________________________________________________________________________

Stopping here today because HeartbeatDream is making inappropriate jokes in regard to my writing, so blame here -_- Hope you liked it anyway :P Will finish it soon! Vote, comment, etc, let me know what you think!!