Chapter 56

**Alex’s POV**

“Alex, what’s wrong?”

I turn away from my window. My mother is standing in my doorway watching me in concern.

“Nothing,” I lie. I turn back to the window, staring out and twirling my wand in my fingers. Ever since I turned seventeen and passed my apparation test I’ve wanted to go out and find Fred. I haven’t heard from him all summer. In fact, except for Jace, I haven’t heard from anyone.

“Sweetheart, has something happened with Fred?” Mum asks, sitting down on my bed, “I’ve noticed there haven’t been many owls this summer.”

“No,” I reply, “nothing’s happened.”

Which is, of course, the point.

At the end of last year Dumbledore told us that You-Know-Who has returned. Everyone was terrified, naturally, and Fred promised he’d keep me updated with everything going on in the wizarding world. Since then I haven’t heard anything.

I sigh and start pacing back and forth in front of the window.

“Maybe you could call him,” Mum suggests.

“He doesn’t have a phone,” I sigh. I grab my phone and type a text to Jace.

Jace, I haven’t heard anything yet. Any news? - Alex

I throw my phone onto my bed and return to staring out the window.

“Alex,” Mum’s tone is much more firm now, “is there something you need to tell me?”

Let me think. Well, the greatest dark wizard of all time has returned. He has this thing with killing muggle-borns and their families. I have no idea what’s going on with the wizarding world. Everytime I send Archie off with a letter for Fred he comes back with nothing. Jace knows about as much as I do. For all I know there could be death eaters heading this way as we speak.

“Nothing,” I lie, “maybe they went to visit Bill again. Or Charlie.”

“Well, your school list arrived today, do you want to go shopping?”

I stare out the window for a moment more. Maybe I’ll run into Fred in Diagon Alley.

“Sure,” I agree.

I follow Mum out into the kitchen and pick up the envelope. I pull out my list and something falls to the ground with a ping. I look under the table and pick it up.

Head Girl.

Great, this is all I need.

I ignore Mum’s cries of admiration and glance over my book list without really seeing it.

“Let’s go,” I say, walking towards the car. It would be quicker to apparate, but I want Mum with me in case I see Fred and in case I don’t.

The drive barely takes a minute to me and soon we’re walking into Diagon Alley.

“I can’t believe my baby girl is finishing school,” Mum sighs as we walk towards Gringotts, “it seems just yesterday we were being told you’re a witch.”

I stop beside a paper stall and pick up a copy of the Daily Prophet.

“Seven sickles,” the witch says. I hand her the money, reading the head line. I would have thought there would be reports on You-Know-Who’s movements, but it’s not about him. It’s about Dumbledore and Harry. About their lies, their plots. About how Dumbledore’s losing it and Harry’s dilluded.