Chapter 28

**Alex’s POV**

“No, no and a thousand times NO!”

“But, Scarlett, we need a chaser!”

“I AM NOT DOING IT!”

“Please? I’m literally begging you!”

“No!”

“Scarlett, it’s the twenty-fourth of April, the next match is on the eighth of May, we have two weeks!”

“I’ll do it,” I say impulsively, regretting it immediately. Oliver and Scarlett both turn to look at me, their mouths hanging open.

“Al, you can’t fly,” Scarlett points out.

“Yeah I can,” I tell her, “I just don’t in front of you.”

She makes a face.

“Why not?”

“Cause you’re so much better than me.”

“That makes no sense.”

“I know.”

Oliver shakes his head.

“Wait, so have you ever played a game of Quidditch?” he asks, moving away from Scarlett towards me. I shake my head. He sighs.

“Give her a go, Wood,” Scarlett says, “after what happened to Katie no one else will dare.”

Oliver looks at me critically.

“Fine,” he says, “you’re on the team. Scarlett, let her use your broom.”

“Good luck,” Scarlett says, handing me her broom. Nervous, I walk down to the Quidditch pitch behind Oliver. The rest of the team are there, already in their scarlet robes. I hang in the shadows, wishing I’d never spoken.

“OI! YOU LOT! DOWN HERE NOW!” Oliver yells. The team speeds down and lands in front of him. They haven’t noticed me yet.

“I’ve got a chaser,” Oliver says, “she’s never played before and I don’t know how well she can fly, but it’s better than nothing. Hopefully.”

“Who?” Fred asks, leaning against his broomstick. I step out from behind Oliver, my cheeks blazing.

“ALEX?!” Angelina, Alicia, Fred and George exclaim.

“Hey guys,” I say shyly.

“Right, let’s see what you’ve got,” Oliver says.