Chapter 51

**Alex’s POV**

“What are you doing?” Fred asks as the eight of us girls come waddling down the stairs, cotton balls separating our toes.

“Our nails are drying,” Scarlett replies, “so be careful not to touch any of them.”

“It is going to take you hours to get downstairs,” Lee smirks.

“Well, we’d better get going then, hadn’t we?” Scarlett smiles. We struggle over to the portrait hole and stop.

“This will be a problem,” Angelina sighs.

“Why?” Lee asks, “you just have to climb through.”

“Without using our hands to balance,” Scarlett says. Fred and George exchange a look.

“Alright boys, pick a girl,” George says, scooping Scarlett up, “and watch their nails. They’ll kill us if we mess them up.”

Fred puts one hand behind my back and one under my knees and lifts me easily into his arms.

“I feel like a princess,” I laugh.

I look around at the other girls. Felicity is looking less than impressed at being carried by Tobias, but none of the others seem to mind. We get a lot of odd looks walking into the hall, but a group of Hufflepuff girls laugh.

“Why didn’t we think of that,” one of them laughs.

Fred sets me down at the table.

“Don’t get any food on your nails,” Scarlett warns, “I am not picking bread crumbs off them.”

“Fred, can you pour me some soup?” I ask. He pours me a bowl and hands me my spoon.

“I’m not feeding you,” he warns. I laugh and carefully begin to drink the soup.

“How will we know when our nails are dry?” I ask Scarlett.

“They’ll feel different,” she says, “and I’ll check in a minute. Yours should be done soon.”

She ducks under the table and touches my toes.

“Your toenails are dry,” she says, “let me see your fingers… Not quite yet, but close.”

“Good, you can walk back upstairs,” Fred says, “I’m not carrying you up all those steps.”

“You can give me a piggy back,” I tell him, “or a shoulder ride.”

He shakes his head, smiling.

“Alright, I guess I can,” he says.

After lunch I climb precariously onto his shoulders, trying not to grab onto his hair in case I ruin my nails… Or pull his hair. As we walk I sway slightly and squeal.

“You okay?” he asks, stopping.

“Yeah, fine,” I say, “I don’t have anything to hold onto.”

“Give me your hands,” he says. He holds my hands against my legs. I rest my chin on the top of his head.

“Hey, Fred? You’re the best,” I tell him.

“Oh, I know,” he says casually. I laugh and press my lips into his hair.

“You’re pretty cool, too, Alexandra.”

“I’m flattered.”

When we reach the common room Scarlett is putting little diamonds on people’s nails.