Chapter 53

**Alex’s POV**

Things are awkward. I mean, really awkward. Every time I see Fred I sort of freeze up. I thought we’d be like Scarlett and George are, relaxed around each other, comfortable with each other, but we’re not. I can barely stay in the same room with him, let alone make eye contact.

“Just talk to him,” Scarlett says during Charms, “it’s better to just clear the air.”

“I can’t!” I hiss, “every time I see him I just… I don’t know! It’s like I’m paralysed!”

“Girls!” Flitwick calls warningly. We lower our voices.

“Al, if you want to work things out, you have to talk,” she whispers, “you need to grow up and actually communicate, both of you!”

I sigh and rest my forehead on the desk. I hear someone ‘pssst!’ then Scarlett nudges me.

“From Fred,” she says, handing me a note. I open it up.

Alex, can we talk after classes? Meet me by the lake before dinner. x

“What do we have next?” I ask Scarlett.

“You have divination,” she replies. I try not to groan. I hate divination.

“I told you to drop it,” Scarlett says.

During divination I just sit and talk with Tommy. He’s the only other person who didn’t drop divination. I think mainly to keep me company. Professor Trelawney is sitting in her chair marking some fourth year work. I tell Tommy everything that’s happened with Fred.

“I thought he seemed a bit off,” Tommy says, “it’ll be okay, though. He’s a good guy. Mostly.”

I smile at him.

“I know,” I say, “I just… I don’t know, I feel weird.”

“What is it that makes you feel weird?” Tommy asks.

“I don’t know,” I say again, “it’s like… I don’t know where we stand any more. Am I meant to be closer to him? How do I act?”

“Just the same,” Tommy shrugs, “jut work it out together. It’ll all come together.”

The bell rings and I feel a shiver run down my spine.

“Come on, let’s find lover-boy,” Tommy says. He walks me down to the entrance hall and we stop in front of the doors.

“Good luck,” Tommy says, giving me a hug. My mouth is too dry to respond, so I just give him a shaky smile and step outside. The air is quite chilly, but it’s refreshing after the stuffy classroom. I walk down towards the lake and see Fred there, skipping rocks. I drop my bag next to his and walk up next to him.

“Hey,” I say quietly.

“Hey,” he says. He holds out a rock and I take it.

“I don’t know how to skip them,” I tell him.

“Like this,” he says, “turn sideways.”

He puts his arms around me, showing me how to flick my wrist. I flick the rock out and it bounces twice before sinking.

“Not bad,” he says, his arms still around me. I turn around to face him and wrap my arms around him. He leans his face into my hair and I can feel his hot breath on my neck.

“Are you okay?” he asks. I nod, leaning closer into him.

“Are you sure? Because you’ve barely looked at me since-”