Chapter 13

**Alex’s POV**

“MERRY CHRSTMAS!” I yell, leaping out of bed. Noah, Nick and Lucas all leap up too. Oliver and Samuel are slower to get moving, but soon enough we’re all sprinting in to wake up Jayden, Tristan, James, Jason and Jacob. I hang back at the door while my brothers wake them, then Noah, Nick and I tumble downstairs to wake Michael and Tyler.

“WAKE UP!” I yell, jumping on Michael.

“Oof! Merry Christmas, Alex,” Michael laughs, “get off me.”

I jump off and sprint into Mum and Dad’s room.

“MERRY CHRISTMAS!” I yell, jumping onto their bed.

“Merry Christmas, sweetheart,” Mum says, pulling me into a hug. I hug her back then jump off the bed and run out to my stocking hanging over the fireplace. I take it down and empty the contents onto the floor. Noah and Nick come running in and copy me. I have a pile of chocolates and a pair of clip-on earrings. I go to put them on, but then I realise they’re real. Mum smiles and hands me an envelope. I open it and find a gift voucher for a local beautician to get my ears pierced.

“Thanks Mum!” I say, a bit shocked. I’d never really thought about getting my ears pierced. All the other girls have theirs done.

“Can we open presents?” Nick asks Mum.

“You know the rules,” she says, “breakfast first.”

We all groan and trail into the kitchen.

“Right, who’s for toast?” Mum asks. We’re already pouring cereal into bowls and gulping it down. Mum laughs and shakes her head.

“When you’re done, wash and dry up and put them away,” she says. I finish fourth, after Tyler, Nick, Jacob and Tristan. We all crowd around the sink and wash out bowls and spoons. Once they’re away we fly to the living room and take our usual seats, in age order, bouncing around in anticipation. It seems to take years before everyone is finished and washed up, but finally we’re all seated, Dad with ruffled hair and his coffee and the rest of us bright eyed.

“Alright, Alex, chose a present and give it to its owner,” Mum says. I choose a big present wrapped in green with a red ribbon and look at the tag. It’s for Jason.

“Merry Christmas,” I say, giving it to him.

“Thanks, Al,” he says, taking it and putting it at his feet.

“Nick, you next.”

This slow process of giving out presents leaves us all in complete anticipation verging on anxiety. Finally, Michael gives the last present to Tristan and we all look at Mum and Dad.

“Go on,” Mum laughs.

Paper flies everywhere as we tear into our presents and the air is filled with exclamations of joy.

I get five different coloured nail polishes, some make-up, a pair of pink butterfly earrings and a pink dress.

“Do you like them?” Mum asks.

“Yeah,” I lie, smiling, “they’re great. Thanks Mum.”

Nick looks over and his mouth falls open.

“Oh my God, Mum,” he says, “what did you get her?”

“Girl stuff,” Mum says, “she’s becoming a young lady now.”

“But she doesn’t like that stuff,” Nick continues, despite my attempts to shush him, “she’s not a girly girl.”

Mum looks at me, and I try to hide my disappointment. Mum sees it and looks upset.