Chapter 60

**Alex’s POV**

“Those with pure blood status,” Scarlett mimics Umbridge, “pfft, who cares about blood status? It’s not like it affects magical ability.”

“How do you know that?” I ask, “has there been any studies done on it?”

Scarlett rolls her eyes.

“Have you met the Slytherins? Half of them wouldn’t have the fleetest fancy if their head was on fire.”

“That’s intelligence, not magical ability,” I point out.

“Well, they’re not exactly polar opposites, are they?” Scarlett argues, “my point is that blood status is a medieval idea that was supported by Salazar Slytherin because he was a proud old crone.”

“Nicely put,” George nods.

“Here, here,” Fred agrees, “if blood status was so important then you wouldn’t have beaten Sophina so badly last night.”

“She was just nervous.”
“Stop arguing, Alex,” Scarlett says, “or I’ll make you sit at the muggle table.”

We walk into the Great Hall and sit at the Gryffindor table. Angelina is discussing Quidditch tactics with Alicia who appears bored by the subject.

“Make her stop,” Alicia groans as Angelina spots Harry and Ron and rushes over to them, “she just won’t shut up!”

“Have you tried falling asleep on her?” Scarlett suggests, “it used to work with Oliver.”

“Well, not exactly,” George interjects, “he kept talking, we just didn’t hear.”
“That is true,” Scarlett admits, “maybe we’ll have to take her out.”

“I’m in!” Alicia agrees immediately. Angelina comes rushing over, followed by Harry and Ron.

“Listen up,” she barks, “we have Quidditch practice from three until seven on Thursday, then three until nine on Wednesday and Friday.”

Fred chokes and begins coughing, his eyes streaming.
“What?” George exclaims, “what happened to four to seven-thirty?”

“Well, we have a DA meeting at seven-thirty on Thursday,” Angelina says, “so we have to make up the time.”

“So, instead of doing an extra half hour on one day we’re doing an extra hour and a half on two days?” Fred gasps.

“Is there a problem?” Angelina snarls. Fred and George exchange a glance, then sigh.

“Nope,” they mutter.

“Good,” she snaps, walking away.

“Glad I’m not on the team,” Scarlett whispers. Fred shakes his head.

“You have no idea.”

I give his hand a squeeze and stand up.

“Come on, we have transfiguration now,” I say. Fred groans.

“I’ll pass,” he says. I kiss him lightly on the top of the head.

“Feel free to try out a skiving snackbox, but remember the consequences,” I tell him. He considers it briefly, then stands with a sigh.

“Well, McGonagall is the lesser of two pains in my ar-”

I clap my hand over his mouth as McGonagall walks past, but luckily she doesn’t hear.

After the class, however, she is quite aware of the complaints coming from the class about the huge amount of homework she’s set.

“How are we supposed to do three essays by next class?” George rages, “all the teachers are setting us homework like this, surely they must realise it’s impossible for us to get it all done!”

“It’s stupid,” Scarlett growls. She got extra homework for turning a Ravenclaw girl’s hair into a skunk.

“Cheer up, you two,” I sigh, “we’ve still got potions today.”

“Stupid, sleezy, slimy creep,” Scarlett snarls, stomping from Snape’s dungeons with her eyebrows singed off and the end of her hair still smoking. George follows behind, holding a cloth soaked in water to his cheek. Fred is behind George, his shirt covered in burn holes.

“He bumped my arm on purpose!” Scarlett continues, “I’d never have added too much bumpkling juice otherwise.”

“We’ll get him back,” George says through gritted teeth.

“I need a new shirt,” Fred sighs, “and I think I have a hole in the back of my neck.”

I check the back of his neck. There’s a small burn there which looks sore.

“I’ll fix it once we get back to Gryffindor tower,” I tell him, “and Scarlett, I’m sure Felicity can fix your eyebrows.”

“My eyebrows?!” Scarlett screams, “WHAT HAPPENED TO MY EYEBROWS?!”

“Oops,” I giggle as she rushes off to find a mirror. We meet her on the third floor where she is looking even more furious and is holding one hand over her eyebrows. People are shooting her amused looks as they walk past.

“He burnt off my eyebrows,” she growls, stomping up the stairs with us, “this means war.”

“Calm down,” I tell her gently, “They’re easily fixable, and besides, look at George’s face. It’s much more badly burned and he’s not complaining half as much.”

Scarlett gives George a gentle kiss on his unburned cheek.

“Can you fix it?” she asks me. I shrug.

“Probably,” I say, climbing through the portrait hole, “all of you sit down and I’ll see what I can do.”

I decide to look at George’s first because it seems the most severe. I carefully examine it and decide that it won’t be too difficult to treat with a basic spell. I cast the spell, but nothing happens.

“These aren’t normal burns,” I frown, “I don’t know how to treat them.”

“I guess we’ll have to go to the hospital wing,” Scarlett sighs.

“Come on, then,” George says, dragging himself up.

“I’ll get started on the homework,” I say as they clamber out the portrait hole. None of them reply. I suppose homework is the last thing on their minds, but right now, with only a few months left before our exams, it’s almost the only thing on mine.

____________________________________________________________________________

Ah, updated! So, out of curiosity, what do you guys want/expect to see in the coming chapters? And do you want a Happily Ever After or a Let's-Be-Friends ending? Thanks for reading!! xx