Ice Princess Chapter 7

"The truth is, di ako taga-Kerle noong una. I grew up in this nearby planet na mas mahirap sa Kerle. I don't remember having parents. My earliest memory was sitting inside this junk shop, while this old lady stood at a counter, talking to creatures who seemed to be her customers. I would try to sneak out of her shop and explore the city. Believe me, mas mahirap pa ito sa Pilipinas."

Zaida sipped her drink and looked upwards at the heavens, thinking about how her life had been

"Anong itsura ng dati mong tirahan?" tanong ni Luis.

"It's a place full of dust, rusty-looking buildings, and a yellowish sky. Ang mga kabahayan, kamukha ng mga barong-barong sa Pilipinas. I remember walking along the streets, bumping into different people and creatures. I remember stealing bread and trying not to get caught. But one time, the old lady I lived with, she caught me. Binuhat niya ako pauwi at pinalo."

Hindi mapigilan ni Zaida ang matawa.

"Kaano-ano mo yung babae?"

"Auntie or grandma, I can't remember. I once tried asking her where my parents were, pero ang sabi lang niya, wala na sila. She hated that she had to take care of me. As a child, I already know I was a burden to her. So, at the early age of seven, I planned my escape, even if there was no way for me to do so. Pero desidido ako. Alam ko kapag nanatili pa ako doon, paglaki ko, ibebenta lang niya ako at magiging parausan lang ng mga kadiring aliens doon. O kaya naman, magiging kagaya rin niya ako."

"May prostitusyon pala doon," kumunot ang noo ni Luis.

"Whatever crimes they do here, it's also present in another galaxy, at ikaw pa lang ang nakakaalam," ika ni Zaida.

"Kumusta justice system?"

"Sometimes napapanagot naman ang mga may-sala. That is the case for other planets. But in my hometown, they get away with it. Going back, when I was seven, I plotted my escape carefully."

Zaida breathed and continued.

"My grandma or aunt went to another town for some business. So naiwan ako sa junkshop na bahay rin namin. I quickly packed my few belongings and sneaked out. I wandered around the city, trying not to be seen or recognized, until I went out to the desert and came to this station. I saw this space vessel parked nearby, and recognized it as from Kerle. I know, because of some old books I've seen in the junk shop."

Zaida took hold of Luis' hand and allowed him to see her memories.

Sa nakikita ni Luis, may isang batang babae na nakatalukbong at may dalang satchel bag na parang gawa sa tela. He saw her roaming around and seeing a vessel about the size of a private plane on Earth. It looked like an Earth airplane, except for the oddly shaped wings, na x-wing style at patusok.

The young Zaida found out that the back door was open. She was able to go inside the cargo part. She hid behind a box and waited until the pilot went back to the cockpit. The little girl crouched behind the box and never got noticed by the pilot.