Chapter 7

"I'll be back for dinner, Dad!" I exclaimed, grabbing my bag and heading towards the door.

"Where are you going?" my father asked, walking out of the kitchen, drying his hands on a towel.

"The library," I replied, turning to face him. I pulled an innocent expression onto my face and cocked my head to the side slightly.

"For what?" he asked.

"To do some research. I need to figure out where I want to travel abroad next year. I want to pick the right place," I replied.

It wasn't a complete lie; I was going to the library. I just decided to leave out which library I was going to. And with whom.

Gerrard had called me earlier that week and told me that we would be able to meet at Elijah's manor later on in the week. He said that most of the members that permanently resided in the house were leaving on an expedition for a few days and that we would have the whole manor to ourselves, excluding the numerous servants and maids that maintained the place. We were going to scour the library to find books with maps of the ancient worlds and compare them to the maps we had found in Mikael's cabin home.

"Oh, ok. Well, don't take too long. You have to help me make dinner," he said.

"I won't. Just a few hours," I replied. With a fleeting smile, I bid him good-bye and walked out the door.

I checked my surroundings before ducking into the back alley of the apartment complex. There was a man wearing raggedy clothes sitting against the wall. His eyes were closed and I assumed he was asleep. Glancing at the man apprehensively, I formed the picture of the manor in my mind and then transported before the homeless man woke up.

A few seconds later, I appeared in front of the familiar, dark manor. I walked up the driveway briskly and opened the gates with my key. I entered and then walked up the long, circular walkway to the door. I entered inside the manor, my hair blowing back as the cool air inside the house hit my face.

I found Gerrard in the drawing room, standing by the window. His back was to me and he was looking outside, his silohette a mere shadow from the dim sunlight that poured in from outside. His hands were clasped behind his back and his brows were furrowed together. He seemed to be thinking deeply about something. When I cleared my throat to announced my presence, he turned around, not caught off-guard at all.

"Finally," he said, walking towards me.

"I'm three minutes early!" I exclaimed. He smirked at me and then nodded his head at me to lead the way to the library.

"So how'd you get away from your father?" he asked me as we walked in step.

"I told him I was going to the library," I replied flatly. He snorted.

"Such a goodie-two-shoes," he said.

"It's not a complete lie!" I defended.

"That's true," he said. "You know, if you weren't a witch, with your cleverness, you could have become a lawyer," he commented. I rolled my eyes at him. "Maybe you still can. After you finish your studies at the University," he suggested.

"If I'm still alive by then," I said darkly.

"You will be," he said, his mocking tone turning serious.

"We'll see," I said. He grabbed my arm and stopped me.

"Stop thinking like that. We're going to figure this out," he said to me, his blue-grey eyes storming.

"I'm thinking realistically, Gerr. Right now, we have nothing. And who knows when tragedy will strike?" I replied. He glared at me and I stared back at him stonily.