Chapter 12

"Gerr..." I whispered, gently shaking Gerrard awake. He opened his eyes immediately, his entire being alert within just a few seconds.

"Is everything all right?" he asked, sitting up and holding my shoulder. I smiled softly at him.

"Yeah," I said in a soft voice. "Everything's fine. They're serving dinner soon," I said.

"Dinner..." he trailed off, looking around him as if just realizing where he was. "We're in Sylvanterra," he mumbled. I nodded.

"I was disoriented, too, when I woke up," I told him. He groaned and held his head in his hands, pressing down on his tired eyes with his palms.

"I'm so freaking tired," he said, sighing and leaning back on the headboard.

"Me too," I said, looking at him. The only light in the room came from the moon outside, which shone brilliantly through the curtains, illuminating Gerrard's blue-grey eyes.

"When did you wake up?" he asked.

"About a half hour ago," I answered. He nodded.

"You said you wanted to talk to me about something when I woke up," he said, looking at me with wide, awake eyes.

"Oh, right," I said, remembering. I leaned back against the wall next to him, fiddling with the silk material of the dress I was wearing.

"Remember when I was passed out from that poison dart that Rowan shot into my neck?" I started.

"Yeah..." he said.

"Well, when I was unconscious, I had this...dream, I guess you could call it," I said.

"A dream?" he asked.

"It wasn't really a dream, because I'm pretty sure it's happened before," I said.

"What do you mean?" he asked, thoroughly confused now. I sighed, backtracking and rethinking how I would tell him.

"I guess I should tell you this first," I said, "A while ago, after I had first gotten my powers and before I had met Elijah and you, I had this dream about a woman with blonde hair dressed in red who had a dagger come down on her hand," I explained.

"Ok..."

"The blonde woman was my mom," I said. Gerrard furrowed his brows.

"I didn't realize it at the time, but after I took the Blood Oath myself I realized that it had been her. And when I was unconscious, I had a dream about my mom again. It was when she was about to go fight the final battle; I guess where she was about to go reveal her double agent status. And then right after that one, I had a dream about her when she was in the hospital bed and my dad..." I trailed off, feeling overcome with a sudden emotion as the memory of the dream burned in my mind, "...my dad was there. And he was upset. And she was dying. I think that's when the Blood Oath curse activated," I said.

"It was so weird, when I was watching it. I felt like I was actually there. There was a burning building at the battle and I could feel the flames. I felt like I was choking on the smoke from the fire. But when I tried to talk to my mom, or my dad, or anyone, they couldn't hear me. It was like I was invisible to them; like I wasn't even there," I continued. "What does it mean? How come I can see my mother's memories?" I asked.

"They're not exactly you're mother's memories, are they?" Gerrard said. "Because otherwise, you would be seeing the situation through her eyes. But you were saying that you were watching from the sidelines, like you were an eye-witness or something," he said.

"Exactly! That's exactly how it was!" I said. "No on in the dream could hear or see me. It was horrible," I said. "But why have I been able to see these things? How was I able to see them?" I asked.