Chapter 16

Once I stepped off the plane at the airport in Sicily, I realized just how glad I was that I could use magic to transport. I had forgotten how much I absolutely hated flying in airplanes. It made me feel sick. The entire time, I was afraid that we were going to crash or that I was going to vomit on the extremely attractive Italian guy that was sitting next to me.

Gerrard was leaning against a pillar waiting for me when I wheeled my trolley with my suitcases out. There were several girls oggling him as he leaned casually against the wall with his sunglasses and leather jacket. I rolled my eyes before approaching him.

"Hey, douche. Want to help me with these bags?" I asked. He pushed himself off the wall when he heard my voice.

"That's not a very nice thing to say to your ride," he replied, ducking under the bar to help me.

"In modern times, an example of a douche would be exactly what you look like right now," I told him.

"Hot?" he asked, quirking an eyebrow.

"Sunglasses indoors? Black leather jacket? Posing and pretending not to notice all the attention?" I offered. He smirked at me and took his sunglasses off to wink at me. I shook my head at him and spotted the cute Italian boy. He smiled at me and then walked up to his receiving party, which was an equally attractive Italian guy. Then he swiftly kissed him on the lips. I sputtered.

"Figures. The only attractive guy on the airplane would be a gay guy," I remarked. Gerrard glanced over and then chuckled.

"Aren't you engaged?" he asked.

"I can still look," I said. Now he rolled his eyes at me.

"Let's go. I want to get out of this place. I hate being around so many Magia Non," he said as we started walking out of the airport.

"That was a very Elijah thing to say," I said, following him.

"Well, you know what they say..." he trailed off.

"What?" I asked as we approached a shiny black Porche. He stopped, blinking.

"I don't know. I was hoping you would know," he said. I punched him in the arm and he laughed, tossing my suitcases into the trunk. He came around to the passenger side and opened my door for me before getting into the car himself.

"For someone who doesn't like non-magic things, this sure is a nice car," I said, running my hand over the smooth expensive leather interior.

"Since I have to play the part, might as well do it in the best way there is," he replied.

"Which is?" I asked as he started the engine.

"Over the top," he replied, smirking. He pushed a button to open up the top to make the car a convertible and then reversed, speeding off out of the airport.

"I see what you did there," I said sarcastically. He winked at me from behind his sunglasses. "So where's my clone?" I asked.

"At the loft," he answered.

"Does she still look like me?" I asked.

"Of course. But she lacks the spunk," he replied.

"I'll take that as a compliment," I said, grinning cheesily. He chuckled.

"How did the good-bye go?" he asked.

"Painfully," I replied, sighing and putting my elbow on the door. I gathered my hair into a pony-tail to keep it from whipping into my face.

"You'll see them soon enough," he said.

"But under what circumstances?" I asked. He was silent a moment as the wind rushed into our ears and the sounds of Sicily swirled all around us.