Chapter 25

Trey's POV

"Lighten up, man," Lance said, punching my arm. 

It was the night of the Yellow Moon ceremony. Everyone was getting ready for the ball, the same one we attended last year. Abbey was still getting ready, but Lance and I were dressed in our tuxedos. I was sitting, staring at my phone, waiting for Caley to call.

I remembered last year when we went to the ball together. Caley had looked stunning in her mother's old wedding dress. That night held so many memories for me. That was the night that we had taken our relationship to the next level. That was the night I told Caley that I loved her for the first time. 

I sighed, rubbing my eyes. It had been nearly two weeks since I had heard from Caley. The last time I had talked to her, she was getting ready to take midterms. She had told me how much she was loving Italy, how it was so different from Trinity University. She said that the weather was amazing, that professors were incredibly intelligent, and that the land was rich with magic from the Ancient Romans and Greeks. She was learning so much.

I tried to seem supportive and show that I was happy for her. It was, after all, what she wanted to do. She had always been so interested in the magic of the ancient people. As much as she would hate to admit it, she was a history buff, something that I found incredibly boring. But I guessed that she was so interested in it because of who she was. After all, her elemental line had left its mark on magical history forever and it was in Caley's nature to be curious. It made sense that she wanted to know more about her people. 

But I was still unhappy and that was because she wasn't here with me. It was selfish, yes, but I couldn't help it. And it was even more unbearable with Lance and Abbey around.

Maybe it was because I always had Caley, but ever since she had left, I noticed that Abbey and Lance showed a lot of public displays of affection. They were always kissing, or fondling each other, or hugging or something. It was sickening. And what was more, it made me miss Caley even more than I already did. And tonight, on this night, they were even more unbearable. 

This may have been because Lance and Abbey had taken their relationship to a different level recently, too. Lance had said the "L" word and Abbey was ecstatic. Now all they did was throw the word around, like it meant nothing. They were getting serious, but then again, they had been together for about as long as Caley and I had been together. It was to be expected. But it didn't make it any less intolerable.

"I'm ready!" Abbey announced, walking into the student lounge area, looking spectacular in a long black gown.

"Woah, you look beautiful," Lance said. This earned him a squeal and a kiss from Abbey. I rolled my eyes to myself. 

"Are you guys ready to go or not?" I asked, standing up. Abbey gave me a pity smile which made me furious. I hated it when she looked at me like that, which was pretty much all the time these days.

"Yeah, we should get going," Abbey said, linking her arm with Lance's. I walked ahead of them, not wanting to be near the sickening couple. 

We made our way down to the Grand Ballroom. I immediately went to seek out Jason and some of my old Trinity High friends. Jason was newly single now, so he and I had reconnected and took to spending most of our time together. It also helped that he was a part of the Order of the Light, so we didn't have to keep anything from each other. 

"Hey, man," Jason said, clapping me on the back. 

"What's up?" I asked.

"Nothing, just scoping out my choices for the evening," Jason said, gesturing towards a group of single girls that were standing together looking at us and giggling. He smirked their way and gave them a nod. They all broke out into a fit of laughter, as if all of them had a chance with him.