Chapter 2

I landed in front of Elijah's mansion. Stepping forward and opening the gate with my silver key, I pushed open the heavy black gates and made my way to the entrance. I walked in through the front doors of the enormous mansion that had once scared me. Now it was a place of familiarity, somewhere I felt oddly comfortable.

The inside of the manor was dark. There were dim lights on in the foyer because people walked in and out of the mansion frequently. I ascended one of the two main marble staircases, averting my gaze from the grotesque paintings mounted on the darkly painted walls.

I had only been in Gerrard's room once. It was one night after a particularly grueling training session I had gotten from Gianna, my trainer in all things related to magic. It had been after a session where I was learning to control the elements, which is really advanced magic. I still hadn't mastered the skill and it was one that was absolutely necessary for me to know.

I stood in front of Gerrard's room and without knocking, I pushed open the door.

The room was dark. I whispered a spell to produce a dim light in front of me to illuminate my way. I realized that Gerrard wasn't the only one that was present in his room. Isobel was fast asleep in his arms. I felt a blush flare up onto my cheeks and I averted my gaze, feeling like I was invading his privacy.

Which I was.

I looked back up and brought the orb of light closer to his face. The brightness of the light as it got closer to his face made him stir in his sleep. He opened his eyes and looked at the orb of light. Confusion spread over his features and before I knew it, I was being suspended in midair, bound tightly by invisible ropes.

"Gerrard!" I hissed. He sat up and looked at me.

"What the hell are you doing?!" he hissed back at me, narrowing his eyes. Isobel was now awake too, stiffening because of the disturbance. I was slightly in awe at how adapted they were to potentially dangerous situations. They were both capable of being ready to attack at any second, whether in battle or having just woken up from sleeping. It was a trait that I was extremely jealous of.

"What are you doing here?!" Isobel said through gritted teeth.

"Will you let me down?" I asked angrily. Gerrard blinked and let me down, sliding out of bed. I was acutely aware of the fact that he was only wearing boxers. This only further deepend my blush.

"What are you doing here?" Gerrard repeated. Isobel brought the sheets closer to her neck and I dreaded to think why.

"I need to talk to you," I answered.

"It's nearly four in the morning, you idiot," Isobel seethed.

I hadn't realized it was that late. My mind was too preoccupied to think about something like time. I was full of emotions and I just knew that I needed to talk to Gerrard.

"I...oh..." I said, glancing at the clock mounted on the wall.

I felt Gerrard looking at me.

"Let me get dressed," he said after a few moments.

"Are you kidding me?!" Isobel asked.

"Look at her, Iz!" he exclaimed, gesturing towards me with his hands. Isobel glanced at me. And I don't know what it was that she saw, but I saw what looked almost like a worry crease form on her forehead.

"Ok. Fine," she said quietly.

"Just give me a minute," Gerrard said to me. I nodded and went outside to wait for him. He joined me a few moments later, closing the door behind him.

"Let's go somewhere else," he said. I agreed silently and followed him outside. He took my arm and we Transported on the spot. I felt the suctioning feeling encompass me, feeling as if I were trapped in a time warp. Then, the feeling was over and I found myself standing in a forest.