Chapter 26

I lifted my shirt off and examined the scarring tissue on my abs and frowned. This was a whole other level of sunburn.

My cuts and bruises and burns were almost completely healed now, thanks to the delicate herbs and medicines that the Sultan's people had concoted. However, the skin from the fireball that Anokhan had thrown at my stomach was still raw. It was pink and fleshy instead of pale like the rest of my skin. I was going to have to make sure no one would see that.

"Ready to go?" Gerrard asked, coming into the bathroom. I gripped the shirt to my chest.

"Don't you knock?" I hissed. He rolled his eyes.

"It's not like I haven't seen you in a bra before. Calm down," he said. 

"You're an ass," I said, pulling my shirt over my head. He caught the hem before I pulled it down and put his finger on the scar tissue. I winced in pain. The wound was still tender.

"That must have been some curse. I can't believe this hasn't healed yet," Gerrard said, examining the wound with a furrowed brow.

"This is kind of uncomfortable," I told him. His blue-grey eyes flickered up to meet mine and he chuckled, releasing my shirt from his grip.

"Sorry. I'm just curious. I haven't ever seen an energy curse that couldn't be healed with a healing potion. The magic he used to form that curse must have been pretty advanced," he said. 

"Well, it still hurts. And Meekhail said it would take a while to heal. So no sex for me," I said. Gerrard laughed.

"No sex for you regardless. We're not going to visit Trey when we get back," he told me.

"Why not?" I asked.

"Because it's better for you that way," he replied pointedly. I frowned  and sighed.

He was right. It had been so difficult for me to say goodbye the first time. I was afraid that after all this time apart, I wouldn't be able to do it again. I was afraid that I wouldn't want to leave or that I would get distracted and I couldn't let that happen. I had come this far and I had to keep going. I had to find an answer that would help save us.

"So we're going to go back, check on Nina, and then go to Elijah's place for a week?" I asked.

"Yeah, I told him we would come back for the elections," Gerrard replied. 

I had completely forgotten that the elections were coming up. I had been so swept up in my adventures and training here in Aghbad that I lost track of the days and the time. Things like elections seemed so foreign to me now, especially after having been exposed to such a different type of government here.

"I'm all packed. We can go whenever you're ready," Gerrard told me. I nodded.

"I'm packed, too. Might as well go say our goodbyes now," I said.

"I think the Sultan's going to be upset that you're leaving," Gerrard said as we went into the room to grab our things. 

"Oh, shut up," I said.

"He took quite a liking to you," he joked. I felt my cheeks flush with color and punched him in the arm, making him laugh.

We brought our stuff with us and made our way to the throne room. The Sultan was holding council in there and we wanted to be on our way as soon as possible. We had a lot to do before we had to go back to Elijah's place.

The Sultan looked up when we walked in and beamed. Then his smile fell when he saw our packed bags.

"Leaving so soon?" he asked, standing up from his throne. He dismissed the people he was talking to and walked towards us.