Chapter 19

Gerrard stepped forward to block me from Ahamet.

"We aren't here to cause any trouble," Gerrard said.

"That's what they all say," Ahamet said, glaring at me. I set my jaw, trying not to seem frightened.

"We just need help finding some Magii," Gerrard said, trying to distract him.

"For what purpose?" Ahamet asked, his amber gaze still fixated on me.

"We're looking for someone," Gerrard replied.

"And who might that be?" Ahamet asked.

"That's none of your concern. We just need help getting to the Fire Nation of the Sahara," Gerrard replied.

"It is of my concern if you want to get out of this alive," Ahamet replied, finally turning his gaze to Gerrard.

"What the hell did we ever do to you?" I heard myself spit out angrily. His attitude was making me angry.

In less than a second, I was being pushed up against the wall forcefully. Anoki squealed and transformed into a small bird and began fluttering around and chirping like mad. Dust from the walls fell down on top of my head as Ahamet pinned me to the wall. He dug his arm into my throat, blocking any passage of air. I struggled against him, trying to push him off, but my head was getting dizzy from the lack of air. Gerrard tried to intervene, but he was held back by Ahamet's minion by some curse.

"You and your people have caused my people centuries' worth of pain," Ahamet hissed in my face. His breath was warm and smelled of hookah smoke. "My great grandfather, my grandparents, my mother...!" he listed, pushing harder against my windpipe.

I felt my eyes begin to water as I glared at him, willing him to let go. Behind him, I saw Gerrard struggling against whatever curse was put on him. Anoki had disappeared out of the open window into safety.

"Just like your people killed my family, I'm going to kill you," Ahamet said. "But I won't steal your life away quickly; I'll make sure it is as drawn-out and painful as possible. I want you to suffer for what you did!" he shouted, pulling me forward and slamming me against the wall again.

I felt my back throb as pain shot down my spinal cord. I felt the drumming increase in my ears and I wondered if I was going to die right there. It would be such a sad thing, dying so pitiously when I had gotten this far. It would mean that I would have failed everyone: my mother, the water-masters...Trey.

I felt the water stone resting on my sternum plate vibrate as Trey's face flashed into my mind. I drew on the energy it provided, feeling my strength return. With magic I didn't know I possessed, I pushed Ahamet off of me, sending him flying across the room and landing painfully on his back. His eyes widened, confused as to where this power came from. Gerrard stopped struggling, too, to watch.

I rubbed my neck where Ahamet's arm had been pressed down, massaging it. Ahamet tried to get up, but I held my hand out, pushing him down using a gravity spell and holding him down on the ground. I approached him and looked at him, a sneer on my face. I bent my knee and rested it on his chest. Then, I pushed down, making him wince in pain.

"This could either go very badly or very well," I said to him, my voice a dangerous whisper. "If you cooperate, I'll let you live. If you don't..." I paused, pushing down harder on his neck, making him cry out. "Then you can join your ancestors in their graves," I threatened.

"Caley!" I heard Gerrard shout. He broke free of the minion's spell. The man now lay sprawled unconscious on the floor, where Gerrard had deposited him. "Let him go, Caley," Gerrard said. My eyes flashed and I turned my attention back to Ahamet.