Chapter 10

"You could have killed her!" I heard someone shout.

"It was just a tranquilizer!" someone else with an accent shouted back.

"That you shot straight into her neck!"

I winced, the volume of the two voices painfull loud. My head was throbbing and my neck felt like it was pulsating.

"She's fine!"

"Then why hasn't she woken up yet?!"

"It was a very powerful tranquilizer."

"A ve-"

"UGH! SHUT UP!" I roared, opening my eyes and becoming blinded by a bright, white hot sun. I sat up and immediately regretted it, because the world around had begun to spin as if I were on a very fast merry-go-round.

"Merlin's ass," I cursed, holding my head and closing my eyes shut. It didn't help. I still felt as if my entire body was being spun around.

"See?! She's fine!" the second voice with the strange accent said.

"Fine?! Look how pale she is!" the first voice, which I now recognized as Gerrard's voice, yelled back.

"She just needs to vomit out the poison," the other voice said.

"Oh my--" Gerrard began saying, his tone clearly frustrated. "I'm going to KILL you if--" he started.

"I'm going to kill both of you if you don't freaking SHUT UP right now," I hissed, my eyes still closed.

The two of them shut up. I cracked open one of my eyes, turning my head in the direction of their voices.

"My head is pounding. Make it stop," I demanded, kneading my temples with my knuckles.

"I told you she would have a bad reaction," Gerrard mumbled under his breath to the stranger.

"Everyone gets this side-effect," the other person grumbled back. I closed my eyes again, feeling the throbbing in my head peak painfully.

"This will pinch just a bit," the stranger said. Before I could even brace myself for whatever that meant, I felt a sharp pain in the side of my arm. A high-pitched yelp escaped my lips and before I knew it, I was falling back into unconsciousness.

                                                    ~~~~~~~~~~~

I was in front of a building that was caught on fire. It burned, the flames licking the black clouds above. The late spring night air was dry, which fueled the enormous flames further. Heavy stone bricks fell from the side of the building, crashing down and bursting into rubble when they hit the ground. I raised my arms above my head and shielded my face from the falling rocks. But even as I did, the rock flew right through me, as if I were invisible. Stunned, I heard a shout come from the distance.

I saw a young woman with flowing blonde hair running towards the fire. Someone was screaming after her telling her it was too dangerous.

"I have to get in there!" she shouted.

"It's on fire! How are you going to get in?!" a male's voice shouted. I couldn't see the man anywhere. The smoke from the fire clouded around me.

"I'll find a way. They're all in there. This is my last hope. I can't just give up," she said, stopping and looking at the male. Then, she turned back around and I gasped, recognizing her face.