Chapter 9

"Do you have everything you need?" Gerrard asked me for the forty-ninth time. I gave him a flat look and he looked back at me blankly.

"I'm just trying to make sure we don't forget anything!" he exclaimed.

"I've already told you a million times that we are completely set and ready to go," I replied.

We were planning on leaving for Brazil later that day and we wanted to make sure we didn't leave anything behind. We would be there for two weeks and possibly more if we had the chance. I had told Trey and the others that I wanted some alone time to figure out where I wanted to travel abroad. When Trey offered to help, I told him I needed some time to cool off after the very dramatic incident that happened between us in Australia. He understood when I told him this, because he wanted us all to get along more than anything else.

So I took the opportunity to tell Gerrard that we could go to Brazil while my friends and I took a break from each other's company for some time. He agreed and since we weren't really doing any work for Elijah, we packed up our bags and our maps and decided to leave. Now, we were getting ready to transport to the Amazon River in Brazil.

"Ok, so I'm going to be the one that transports us, all right?" he said.

"I still think that I can do it myself," I said, shaking my head.

"Maybe you can, but I don't want to risk you getting ripped into two halves or getting lost. So let's just do it my way," he said. I sighed and nodded, picking up my bag.

It was a small bag that I put an enlargment spell on. We had packed very little, since we wouldn't need too much while we were in Brazil. We had some spare clothes, the maps, food and water, a tent, and some healing potions that we had made after figuring out the maps. I also had with me my mother's letter and the bracelet she had given me, for good luck.

"Ready to go?" Gerrard asked me. I nodded, feeling my heart skip a beat.

I was nervous; I had no idea what we would run into when we got to the location in the forests along the Amazon River. Would we run into a wild native tribe? Would we find a fluorishing hidden kingdom? Would we find nothing at all and have to come back home? The possibilities were many, but whatever happened, I hoped it would be beneficial.

I took Gerrard's hand, standing close to him. He close his eyes, concentrating his mind. I felt his hand twitch slightly in mine as he whispered the coordinates of our destination over and over again under his breath. I closed my own eyes and braced myself for the suctioning feeling that would take over us as we moved at the speed of light through magical airwaves to get to our destination.

About five minutes later, we reached our destination.

The first thing I felt when we landed was the heat and humidity of the air around us. I immediately began perspiring and silently congratulated myself for making the decision to wear shorts and a thin plaid shirt. I breahted in the thick air and opened my eyes.  

I was momentarily rendered speechless at the incredible sight before my eyes. The Amazon was absolutely stunning. I looked around me, amazed at the vibrant colors, the rich soil, the vast amount of trees. We had transported by the side of the river bank, which flowed swiftly down its stream. I reached down and dipped my hand into the cool water, relishing the feeling of it passing over my hand. I felt Gerrard's hand on my shoulder, pulling me back.

"What?" I asked.

"Pirhannas," he replied. I looked back at the water, gazing at it with a horrified expression. I had forgotten about the predatorial fish that lived in the waters of the river.