Chapter 36

I awoke to a blinding white light entering even through my closed eyelids. It was warm, the light, but not in a bad way. It was comfortable, but at the same time, incredibly disturbing. All I wanted to do was sleep. But now that my mind was awake and my brain active, I knew that sleep was now forgotten. And so, giving up fighting for the sleep that had been chased away by the light, I opened my eyes.

I was in a spacious and brightly lit room. It seemed like wherever I was, it was daytime. The sun was filtering in from in between the large white pillars that were connected by decorative arches, illuminating gleaming floors made of cerulean blue and ivory marble stone. The bed that I was in was comfortable, the blankets draped over me so soft that they felt like smooth feathers. Outside, I had a view of sparkling blue water that that twinkled as the sunlight hit it.

Where the hell was I?

I let out a sigh. I was still groggy from sleep and I had a throbbing pain in my shoulders. Once I became more aware of the pain, it intensified tenfold. And then I remembered what happened.

There was a storm and Gerrard, Anoki and I had been caught in it. I had been blown away from Anoki and Gerrard and had lost them in the storm. And just when I was about to fall into the ocean, something had grabbed ahold of me. And that was the source of the pain in my shoulders.

I sat up quickly in bed as the memories came flooding back into my mind, but immediately regretted doing so. As I sat upright, my stomach lurched and I felt bile rise up in my throat. Unable to contain it, I retched over the side of the bed and onto the sparkling stone floors. I sat gasping, staring at the yellowish vomit on the ground. Clutching my stomach, I sat upright, groaning.

"Well, aren't you just a sight for sore eyes," I heard a crisp, accented voice say. I looked in the direction that the voice came from to find the source and my gaze fell upon a tall, handsome looking young man who looked to be about a few years older than me. He was dressed in a simple and fitted light blue button down shirt and light grey trousers. His hair was a dark golden brown and his features were sharp, but what was most striking about him were his eyes, which were a blue so bright, they matched the water outside.

I blinked. If he was a magic user, then that meant he was a water master. My mind was moving slowly, still not completely awake. I wasn't able to fully register what the significance of this young man was and what it had to do with where I was. I watched him as he walked over to me, taking care to step around the small splatter of vomit on the ground. 

"My family and I have been waiting a long time for you to arrive. It is a pleasure to finally meet you, Caley Lucia," the man said, a smile stretching onto his features to reveal a set of straight white teeth.

"H-how--who--what--I--" I stammered, unable to form words. His eyes flashed in amusement as he came around the bed to the other side. He had his hands clasped behind his back and he kept a small smile on his lips.

I had so many questions to ask him. Where was I? Who was he? How did he know my name? What had happened to Anoki and Gerrard? He saw the questioning look on my face and smiled assuringly at me.

"I will answer all of your questions in due time. For now, we need to get you cleaned up," he said, reaching a hand out to help me out of bed. Although my first instinct was to immediately shut him down until he gave me answers, the smell emitting from me overpowered that instinct. Merlin knows how long I had been out for and my clothes reeked of salty sea water, sweat, and the newly added smell of vomit. I ignored his outstretched hand and stepped onto the ground beside him, my bare feet hitting the cold marble floor. He retracted his hand with a mild expression on his face.