Chapter 6

Finals were a nightmare.

I mean, finals first semester were rough, but second semester, they were just outright terrible. I stayed awake all night nearly every night for a week. In just nine days, I was running on a total of about seventy-two hours of sleep. I was a wreck.

But I made it.

Abbey, Lance, Trey and I sat exhausted and zombie-like in the student lounge of the Rossi dormitory building. We were silent, our heads hanging back against the comfortable suede couches.

"I feel like dying," Abbey said, her voice groggy from lack of sleep.

"I feel like all the caffeine that I drank these past few days is going to come back and give me a heart attack," Lance said.

"You guys only drank coffee. I straight up chugged energy drinks," I said.

"We're all probably going to explode," Abbey said.

"Well, at least it's over now," Trey said.

"Until next year," Lance mumbled.

"Let's not think about that just yet," Trey said.

Abbey sat up suddenly, holding her head from the sudden head rush.

"Guys," she said. We glanced at her. "We're sophomores now," she said, a smile forming on her face.

"Merlin, we got through a year of university magic," Lance said thoughtfully.

"You mean we got through a year of university magic alive," Trey corrected.

"I feel like I'm more knowledgeable now," Lance said.

"I can't wait until next year when the new freshman come in," Abbey said.

"Why?" I asked.

"That way we're not the youngest anymore," she answered with a shrug. We all chuckled. I pushed myself up off the couch.

"Where are you going?" Trey asked.

"I don't know about you all, but I'm dead tired and I need some sleep right now or else I literally will die of exhaustion," I said.

"Taking a nap sounds like a really good idea right now," Abbey said.

"A nap? Screw that. I'm not waking up until we have to leave tomorrow," I said.

"We still have to pack our stuff, though!" Abbey exclaimed.

"Damn, we still have to do that, too," Lance muttered, glancing at Trey.

"It's kind of stupid that they would make us move out the day after finals. How are we supposed to get everything together by then?" Trey asked.

"I'm pretty sure that's how regular universities do it, too," I said.

"They should give us more time," Abbey said.

"Why? We can use magic. Just spell everything into packing itself," I said.

"That's actually a good idea," Lance said.

"You resort to using magic every chance you get," Abbey remarked.

"Well, I don't see why not. We can use magic now. We know the spells. What's the point in letting it go to waste?" I asked.

"You might get too relient on it and forget and accidentally use it in front of Magia Non," Lance pointed out. I rolled my eyes.

Although I disagreed with the all force necessary bit of Elijah's interpretation of the Trinity of Magic, I did agree with one part: that we couldn't hide our magic forever. If we were the more powerful beings, why were we the ones in hiding? It should have been reversed. Or else, we should learn to live in peaceful communion with one another. I just didn't like the fact that I was a witch, but I couldn't use my magic in public unless it was a public place that used magic like school. It was almost like a power gone to waste; a useless skill to have.