Chapter 47

I could hear the sound of my heart beating in my ears. I could feel my it pumping against my chest as my breaths came out shallow and quickly.

This was it. This was the moment of truth. This was when Trey would finally learn the secret that I had been keeping from him for nearly two years. This was when I would find out if Trey would forgive me or hate me forever.

Trey stopped short of where Elijah had pushed my father. A few of Elijah's men rushed forward to stop him from attacking or lashing out. But he didn't attack. He just stopped. Coming to a halt right behind him were Natalia and Lance. And jumping out from the brush of bushes after seeing my cue to action was Sylvia.

There was a sizable group present, with Elijah and my father in the center and the rest of us spread out in a haphazard circle around them. Trey hadn't seen me yet because I wasn't in his line of vision; I was standing so that Elijah was covering me.

I felt Gerrard move forward slightly in front of me as Trey looked around wildly. He had a slightly manic look in his eyes, but mostly his face was angry. He had definitely grown considerably in the past year. He seemed taller and more muscular than before. He had a bit of stubble growing on his chin and along his cheeks. His hair was matted and dirty and his clothing was slightly torn. His face was sweaty, but his eyes gleamed brighter than ever, the amber, grey, and green more prominent than they had ever been. He had a pain in his eyes, mixed with confusion and anger. He had lost his father and now he was losing the war. And in just a few moments, when he would discover what I had done, he would lose his true love, too.

"Well, this was unexpected," Elijah said, raising his eyebrows as Trey's gaze fell on him.

"Elijah," Trey hissed.

"You must be Trey, I presume," Elijah said, stepping forward. My father made a motion to get up, but Elijah shot his hand forward, conjuring up an energy ball that pushed my father back to the ground. Elijah stepped over my father's shivering body and walked up to Trey.

"How do you know my name?" Trey asked. Elijah chuckled, stopping in front of him.

"Oh, I've heard much about you, my boy," Elijah said.

"How?" Trey demanded, narrowing his eyes at my uncle. Elijah's face broke into a wide, manic grin.

I felt my heart drop into my stomach. He couldn't find out. Not like this. I stepped forward to say something, but Elijah opened his mouth first.

"Your fiancee had much to say about you," Elijah said. Just as he spoke these words and moved out of Trey's line of vision, my father got up from the ground and tore his shackles off his wrists, at the same time shooting an energy ball at Elijah's head. Elijah deflected it and turned towards his brother, a mad look in his eyes.

"How dare you!" Elijah shouted, springing forward with a whip made of white-hot electricity. And just like that, all hell broke loose. Every person that was in the vicinity sprang forward into action. All around us, there were flashes of light as energy ball after energy ball was thrown around. Gerrard rushed forward into action, too, leaving me standing by myself to face Trey.

I watched as the emotions changed in Trey's face. I saw realization turn into confusion and then confusion into disappointment. I saw disappointment turn into sadness and finally, sadness into anger.

"Trey...listen. I can explain," I began as Trey started to walk towards me.

"You will explain NOTHING," Elijah shouted at me as he dodged my father's curses. I looked at him in panic. No, he couldn't order me to not tell Trey the truth. But he did. And he did something even worse than that.