Chapter 5

We walked by the tree that looked like a hump-backed person for the fifth time. And it was five times too many for Gerrard.

"Caley, stop," he said, grabbing my wrist. I shook him off and looked at him.

"What?" I asked.

"You have no idea where we are!" he exclaimed.

"That's not true," I said unconvincingly. He gave me a look and I squared my jaw, crossing my arms over my chest to stand my ground.

"We're lost," he said.

"We're not. I know exactly where we are and where we are going," I said defiantly.

"Is that so?" he asked. I nodded. "Then why is this the hundredth time I'm seeing that tree?" he asked, pointing to the oddly shaped trunk.

"Ok, a hundred? Exaggerate much?" I asked back, ignoring his question.

"Caley!" he exclaimed, throwing his hands up in the air. "We're lost!" he said.

"We're not lost," I said. He glared at me. "We're just...not at the right place," I added.

"We're going back," he said.

"No! Not yet!" I cried.

"Caley, this is the Forbidden Trinity Forest. You realize why it's called Forbidden, right?" he asked.

"Because it's dangerous," I replied.

"How dangerous?" he asked.

"Very?" I answered after a pause.

"They say that whoever comes into this forest, or at least this deep into the forest, never comes back out," he said.

"That's definitely not true. I've been here before and look! I'm still alive," I said, gesturing towards myself. I crossed my arms over my chest and looked at him pointedly. "You aren't scared, are you?" I asked him.

"Not so much scared as I am extremely annoyed," he answered, shooting me yet another look.

"Look, we can leave once I show you what I need to show you," I said.

"Why can't you just tell me?" he asked.

"Because I have to show you," I said.

"Why?" he asked.

"Because you won't believe me if I just tell you," I replied.

"Caley, when have I ever doubted your words?" he asked. I bit my lip to think for a moment.

"Well...never. But you won't believe me on this. I guarantee it," I said.

"Try me," he said.

"Fine, but we're going to continue walking," I said.

"Fine," he replied, rolling his eyes at me.

We continued walking in the dark forest. It was already dark out, but it wouldn't matter if the sun was shining brightly in the sky; no light could be filtered in from the thick canopy of the forest. We walked towards the south, inward into the forest, our footsteps padding lightly on the forest floor.

I wondered why the forest was known to be so dangerous. I had gone into it alone and wasn't harmed. Given, if I hadn't been paying attention, I probably would have gotten lost. But using a light spell, I found my way around easily. The problem now was, was that I couldn't find the same path I had taken before to get to Mikael's forest cabin. Perhaps it was possible for the forest to change so that any traveler journeying in its depths would get lost.