Chapter 55

When I woke up, I was in a small hospital room with dim lights. I sat up in the bed I was in and stared at the machines that were monitoring my vitals. I sighed. I guess they were still trying to make sure I was stable. Using magic, I opened the curtains in the room to allow light to stream in. I squinted at the sudden light and then lay back down, staring at the ceiling.

After I had woken up a few days ago, I was under constant surveillance. Apparently, after my decision to give up on life, I had fallen unconscious and had stopped responding to the medications they were giving me. I was damn near close to death. But then Trey had volunteered to test out my theory for breaking the Blood Oath curse and something went wrong. Both of us, my father had told me, were dead for a good 10 minutes before we both woke up suddenly. To the team of doctors treating us and to everyone else, it had been a medical miracle. But I knew better. I hadn't told anyone that we were alive because I had broken the elemental curse. I didn't think anyone would believe me if I told them that I talked to the Original Witch and she told me that I was successful in breaking the curse. But I guess none of that mattered now. All that mattered now was that both Trey and I were alive and healthy. We just had to put up with the doctors for a few days before we were released from the hospital, hopefully for good.

I hadn't had the chance to speak to Trey after we both woke up because he was also being monitored, but in a separate room. I only knew that he was alive and well because of what everyone else had told me. My stomach would flip every time I thought of him. Was he still angry with me? Had he forgiven me? Did he hate me? Did he still love me?

I wanted to speak to him so badly, but I knew I had to be patient. I only hoped that when we did finally speak, that it would be like old times.

I heard a knock at my door and looked over as it opened. 

"Caley? You awake?" Gerrard asked, peaking his head inside. I smiled at him and he let out a breath of relief as he entered the room completely, shutting the door behind him.

"Hey," I said, grinning up at him as he came over and kissed the top of my head.

"Hey," he replied with a smile, sitting down on the chair next to my bed.

"You know, I'm getting really tired of hospitals," I said. He chuckled.

"I think they're almost done running tests. You should be released by tomorrow," he told me. 

"Thank Merlin," I replied with a dramatic sigh. He looked at me, a small smile on his lips. "What?" I asked.

"I just can't get over the fact that you're alive," he said. I rolled my eyes at him.

"Not this again," I mumbled.

"Seriously, Caley. You don't understand how incredibly stressful the past few months were," he said.

"I do understand, Gerr. But I don't want to think about that anymore. Because I'm better now," I said.

"I still can't believe your idea worked. It makes no sense. We hadn't even finished the transfusion when you both woke up again," he said. I shrugged.

"Don't doubt it. Just accept it," I responded. He shook his head. "So where is everyone else?" I asked.

"Out and about. Isobel went shopping with Abbey," he told me. I let out a laugh.

"No way!" I exclaimed. He chuckled and nodded. "How is Isobel handling that?" I asked.

"She's had to deal with worse," he replied. I laughed again.

"Is Kia still here?" I asked. He shook his head.

"She went back to Aerya this morning. She told me to tell you she said goodbye and that she'd see you soon," he said.