Chapter 35

"What do you think it means?" Gerrard asked.

We were on Anoki's dragon-form back again, flying over the ocean. We had left Nina's apartment early in the morning because we had a long day of traveling ahead of us.

Gerrard was currently examining my arm, tracing the linked Trinity crest up my arm with his rough fingers. His finger ran over the staff, which began at my elbow, and then traced the delicate chain link down to the sword, which was at about my forearm, and then down to the dove with a fig leaf that rested at my wrist where my pulse was. Each was linked to the next by a decorative chain and then linked to each other, too. 

"I don't know," I told him, as his fingers lingered on the dove. "My mother had a tattoo of the Trinity crest on her upper arm, too. But hers was just the crest. My tattoo has all of the elements linked," I said. 

"Yeah, I remember seeing that on her arm. There has to be a reason for it," Gerrard said.

"Master Yoqi said that every individual's markings are unique," I said. "What are yours?" I asked him, out of curiosity. Gerrard pursed his lips, as if debating on whether or not to show me his markings. Then, he lifted his shirt off, catching me slightly off-guard. I felt my cheeks flush slightly as he turned a little on Anoki's back to show me the side of his torso. Going up the muscular side were markings that appeared to be a language that I couldn't read. I reached out with cold fingers and traced the letters.

"What does it say?" I asked.

"It's Aeryan," he told me, "It says guardian." I looked up sharply and met his gaze, holding it for a few moments as my fingers lingered on his skin. I pulled my hand back and looked away as he put his shirt back on. 

"Your markings are fitting," I mumbled. Gerrard gave me a small smile and then looked out at the sea below us. I continued to watch him.

Guardian. That's what Gerrard was to me. He had always been there for me, watching over me, making sure I never got hurt. Elijah had mentioned that even before Gerrard had approached me that one night when I was at Trinity High, he had been watching me. When I had first met Gerrard, he always tried to appear tough, like he didn't care. He always pretended to be a flirty bad boy player, but he always did small things that made me realize that it was all a facade. He would constantly be pulling me out of harm's way, protecting me, holding me, shielding me. 

Guarding me.

The first time had been when he held me after I had witnessed my first torture done by Elijah. I had been so scared, but Gerrard had been there. He always was. And I knew that I would not have been able to complete this journey without his constant support. He kept me sane, he helped me figure things out, he pushed me to be a better witch. He had this unwaivering faith in me that I was so grateful for. 

I leaned forward and placed a kiss on his cheek. He looked at me and I smiled.

"Thanks," I told him. He raised his eyebrows at me and then shook his head.

"You need to stop thanking me all the time," he said.

"It's nice to hear it once in a while," I replied. He rolled his eyes at me and I shook my head at his stubbornness. Then he pulled out an orb of water from the ocean below and brought it up to his hand. It hovered above his palm, the water swirling around an invisible sphere. 

"What are you--" I started and then he launched it at me, drenching me in water. I gasped and sputtered as the icy cold water dripped down my front. Gerrard roared with laughter, falling back on Anoki's scales. Even Anoki let out a rumble of laughter. I glared at Gerrard.