Chapter 4

"Wonder what this meeting is about. It sounded urgent," Trey said from next to me.

We were sitting in my father's office. My father had called an emergency meeting for the Order. Trey and I had been sitting in the student lounge with Abbey and Lance when we were called. It had been difficult to get away from the two. We made the excuse that we were tired of doing homework and just wanted to take a walk alone. Obviously, instead of taking a walk, we went to my father's office.

All of the necessary members were present: my father, John Blackwood (the President of the Trinity Government), Natalia and Christopher (Trey's parents), Syllvia (the owner of Syllvia's restaraunt), and a few other key members. Trey and I were sitting next to each other. He had his arm around my waist and I was leaning slightly against him. I was still a little weak from the battle at the Trinity Government two days ago. I hadn't fully recovered from it just yet. It had taken an incredibly toll on my magical energy, which made me realize that I was in no way ready for a full on battle.

I noticed that a key member was missing and that was Peter Long, assistant to John Blackwood. It was obvious that others in the room had also noticed this and were probably wondering where on earth he was. Long was usually one of the first people to show up for these meetings, as he always had the most information to provide. I was sure that only I knew of his current location and that this emergency meeting my father had called was to be about what had happened at the Government building in Rome two days ago.

I was a bit surprised, actually, that the meeting hadn't been called earlier. I thought for sure that my father would have found out immediately that one of the most important members of the Order of the Light had been missing and that the Government building had been infiltrated. I myself hadn't spoken to Elijah since he told me to get the hell out of his sight after I almost killed Long, so I didn't really know what sort of damage control he was initiating.

 My father's expression was grim as he called attention to the people in the room. Everyone quieted down immediately and turned their full attention to my father.

"I have bad news," he said. Everyone exchanged worried glances. This was not a pleasant way to start off the meeting. "Peter Long and his family have gone missing," my father informed us. I felt Trey's arm around me stiffen. I tried my best to remain calm and take on an expression of mild alarm.

"No!" Natalia cried.

"How can that be?" Christopher asked.

"I'll let our President answer that," my father said, looking glumly at John Blackwood. Blackwood took this opportunity to stand up at the head of the table, where my father usually sat.

"The Government building was infiltrated by the other side. They broke into the Department of Ancient Spells. Their intention, as we now have come to know, was to steal the truth spell Long was working on uncovering," Blackwood explained.

"At the time of infiltration, Long had been working late in the Department. He had contacted me when he heard the disturbance and told me that he had figured out the spell. said that he would try to escape, but there was probably zero to little chance he'd make it out. He was right. He was captured," Blackwood continued.

"What happened to the spell?" Natasha, my father's Russian secretary, asked.

"We found the destroyed tablet in the Department. It was destroyed beyond magical repair. But since Long had been working on deciphering it, we know he has it in his mind. That's how we know he's still alive," Blackwood replied.

"So we don't have the spell anymore?" Syllvia asked.

"We do," Blackwood answered.

My back stiffened.