Chapter 33

"Kiya," I said, walking into the girl's cabin after knocking and being allowed in.

The young air master was sitting by the window on a cushion, sewing a garment in her hand. Upon closer inspection, I saw that it was a cloak. She looked up when I walked up to her.

"Caley," she said in her sing-song voice, "what can I do for you?"

"I wanted to talk to you about something," I said, sitting myself down on the floor in front of her. She cocked her head to the side and for a moment, I wondered what she had looked like when she had hair. I figured she had probably been incredibly beautiful. She had a simple heart shaped face with slanted eyes that had a curiosity in them. She was the kind of beautiful that every girl hoped to be: naturally flawless and breathtakingly simple.

"You want to talk about Atlantis," she said, setting the needle on top of the cloak.

"How did you know?" I asked. 

"Gerrard," she replied with a slight smile.

"Hmm," I responded. "Well, yes. That is what I wanted to talk to you about. Do you mind answering some of my questions?" I asked.

"I suppose I don't have a choice," she replied. 

"Of course you have a choice," I said.

"Not when it comes to you, Caley. You can be very...insistent," she told me. I felt my cheeks flush because I knew she was referring to my tendency to be overly single-minded. Even though I knew that I had a tendency to be a bit overbearing, I was offended nonetheless. 

"If you don't want to answer my questions, you don't have to. I just figured you would be a good place to start," I said. She smiled at me.

"I can answer your questions," she said. I breathed a sigh of relief. If she couldn't give me answers, then I was lost. I had sifted through all of the books that I had brought with me and I couldn't find a single thing on the lost city of Atlantis. Or at least, nothing of any importance.

"Can you begin from the beginning? Tell me about how Atlantis formed and how it disappeared?" I asked. She nodded, ducking her head to continue her sewing as she talked.

"Atlantis was formed, as I told Gerrard, at the time of the periods of the Kingdoms. There was Aghbad for fire masters, Atlantis for water masters, Aylanterra for earth masters, Aerya for air masters, and Alanis, which was a community of seers. They were the five A’s, the five greatest Kingdoms of Magic. Aylanterra was located where present-day Canada and Greenland are and Alanis was located where the present-day Caribbean islands are.  They were the furthest away from the rest of the kingdoms. Aerya, Atlantis, and Aghbad were very close together. For the most part, Aghbad left Aerya alone since it was in northeastern Asia. But Atlantis and Aghbad were neighbors, Atlantis being located in the Mediterranean and Aghbad being located in Northern Africa. So the two kingdoms were always at odds for land and resources. Eventually, it came to a point that Aghbad became too relentless in its attempts to take land from Atlantis. It would launch massive energy orbs at the kingdom, flaming balls infused with energy, and this led to a lot of death in Atlantis. Of course, the Aquaria also retaliated, but their numbers were already dwindling slowly because of the curse. So they decided that the best way to save their people was to move. They enlisted the help of the air masters to help them move their land, which was a great feat to be done,” Kiya explained.

She paused here and I waited for her to continue. When she didn’t, I prompted her.

“Then what happened? Gerrard said that the people of Aerya lifted Atlantis from the ground and then submerged it under water where they couldn’t be harmed,” I said.