Chapter Three

“I really can’t tell you what happened after Neville left me with Oliver, I mean, I froze and then I sort of ran away. I really wish that I could have thanked him but-

  A shadow casted over Ariella as she was creating an entry in her journal; when she arrived in her common room, she was too flustered to create an entry and she eventually fell asleep. She looked up and saw Professor Lupin smiling at her, everyone around her shared comments to each other. Professor Lupin extended his hand and touched the top of the book but she quickly closed it and placed it under her textbook; Professor Lupin gave a sympathetic look and walked away.

   “Miss Price,” Professor Lupin said with his back turned.

  All eyes were on Ariella and the feeling was uncomfortable, she could have sworn she was turning at least a shade of red.

   “Can you summarize everything we’ve learned about Grindylows?” He turned around and gave a soft smile.

  Ariella bit the inside of her cheek and ventured back into her head for any insight about Grindylows but there was nothing; she wondered upon being the second day back, when they had the chance to learn about them and that’s when she realized it was a trick question.

   “We’ve just started learning about Boggarts, Professor. Therefore, we know nothing about Grindylows yet.”

  Professor Lupin smiled and sat at the edge of the mahogany desk near the front of the class.

   “Good, I was just trying to see if you were awake. It would have been a sight and quite a laugh if you were to make something false about them on the spot. Now, if we can continue back with the lesson.” Professor Lupin picked up the textbook and began to read the content within.

  Ariella gave a sigh of relief and devoted her full attention to the lesson.

  After class, Harry approached Ariella with a smile; she could feel her thoughts starting to jump around in her brain, the nervous twitch in her hand ready to run across the edges of her book.

  Ariella ran her fingers through her hair and placed her books under her left arm, by the time she was finished, Harry was standing right in front of her.

   “Hi Ariella,” He started. Ariella gave a shy smile. “I just want to say that I’m really impressed how you handled Professor Lupin putting you on the spot!” He praised her with a sweet smile.

  She felt her words crawling up her throat, forcing against her own will to fly out of her mouth, “I want just improvising.” She said softly. She bit the bottom of her lip and released a heavy sigh; she scowled herself for being too soft, she wanted to have a proper conversation with someone.

  She watched as Harry opened his mouth but before he formed a sentence, Oliver Wood made his way over.

   “Ariella.” He smiled before looking at Harry. “I was on my way to tell you that we’re starting training early this year, come on. Let’s go.” Oliver tugged Harry’s arm.

  Oliver expressed his apologies through a smile before he disappeared with Harry into the corridors. 

  The classes flew by and Ariella tried to finish her entry without getting caught but she remained unsuccessful. It was not until free period that she was able to finish her entry. She sat in the courtyard on a cobblestone bench where beside her grew the most vibrant color of forget-me-nots, the smell was divine and it was a beautiful day to be out under the sun, she observed students that came and went, she watched their fights, their laughs and cries but she wondered most of all, if anyone could see her. But she would figure out eventually, she looked down and entered the last thought that was on her mind onto the parchment.