Chapter Forty

Ariella laid paralyzed by a single touched and phrase spoken. Her breath grew short as her heart stopped for a moment. She slowly looked over her shoulder and saw Cedric’s quaffed brown hair and concerned grey eyes contrasting against the color of dirt smeared on his face. Ariella was relieved to see Cedric alive in front of her, before she could answer, he gestured Ariella to crawl backwards to join him, Ron and Hermione back where they arrived.

  Slowly without detecting any attention, she reunited with Ron and Hermione with Cedric added to the group. By instinct, Ariella wrapped her arms around Cedric’s neck and silently sobbed into his neck, feeling his breath brush against her ear. Ariella was glad that he was alive apart from being a second away from death.

   “What were you thinking?” Ron said interrupting the moment between Cedric and Ariella.

  Cedric didn’t say a word except slowly ran his hand up and down Ariella’s back. His face bodied a stone hard expression but he couldn’t act with his girlfriend cradled in his arms.

   “I thought I was going to lose you.” She softly said, her lips brushing against Cedric’s neck.

  Cedric pulled Ariella away to get a glimpse of her face, giving her a soft smile before his brow furrowed. His eyes remained sympathetic yet it was clear Cedric’s focus was more concerned with Harry being left alone with Voldemort than Ariella being in such a place.

   “What about Harry?” Hermione said in hush tones while Ron was on the lookout for Harry. Harry let out a groan causing Hermione to sob as she forced herself to watch. Cedric stroke his jaw and creeped his body towards the tombstone. There was no definite plan. They didn’t know how to go against Voldemort and a group of Death Eaters; the last time anyone tried, the four were only two years old.

  Ultimately, everyone had turn to Cedric, him being the oldest and the most skilled wizard out of the four to think of a plan. Hermione was no use, Ariella watched as she tried to focus but her hands covered her ears as she blocked out the agonizing groans escaping Harry’s mouth. Cedric ran his hands through his hair and pressed his wand against his temple.

   “Pick up your wand, Potter!” Voldemort yelled.

  Harry was released from the statue of death and was on all fours as his wand lied in front of him. Voldemort wanted a battle. Harry gasped for air, staggering to his feet with his wand in his grip but he was too weak. Voldemort’s tone turned sharp as he ordered Harry to stand and standby for battle.

   “You’ve been taught how to duel, yes?” Voldemort smiled sinisterly. “First you bow!” With the Imperius curse, Voldemort bent Harry’s posture, forcing him to bow before the Dark Lord, himself. Voldemort let out a chuckle “Dumbledore wouldn’t want you to forget your manners, now, would he? That’s better.”

  The four crouched behind a tombstone feeling utterly helpless. They watched as Voldemort displayed the Cruciatics curse, Ron, Hermione and Ariella learned in class. Harry began to yell in agonizing pain and fall to his knees; the sight was amusing for Voldemort. “I’m going to kill you now, Harry.” He said baring his fangs.

  Ariella couldn’t bear to watch his friend stand up to Voldemort alone. Everyone wanted to help Harry but none of them could act on a plan or come up with one. It was clear for Ariella, thinking was not an option; she would have to rely on instincts and the ability of dodging and fast reflexes. She sprung to her feet, visible to the crowd yet not grasping any attention, her wand pointed towards Voldemort.

   “Stupefy!” She yelled but as the spell came an inch towards Voldemort, it was easily reflected.

  Cedric and Ron swore while Hermione turned towards Ariella with irritated red eyes. Voldemort smiled at Ariella yet his eyes squinted towards her. The Death Eaters began to move towards Ariella but they were halted by Voldemort.