Chapter Thirty-Seven

As the bright light blinded Oliver from her eyes, she felt a pressure lift from her body and a slimy texture in her mouth. She let out a cough and felt her irritated eyes open, her vision was impaired but as she continued to blink she saw a crowd standing on an island in front of her and the sound of a crowds roaring cheer.

   “And Cedric Diggory is the first champion to surface!” Ludo Bagman’s voice echoed through the area, his very voice brought a chill up Ariella’s spine; she questioned whether it was because she just surfaced out of the water or because of his voice.

  Ariella looked around with her mind still in a haze, her hair dripping wet as she and Cedric swam to the docks where the rest of the school watched. At the docks, Cedric let Ariella go first as he placed his hands around her waist and lifted her up, the warmth of his hands felt uncomfortable yet comfortable at the same time, reasons being her clothes stuck to her skin. She turned around and saw Cedric ran the palm of his hand and through his hair as he pulled himself up; a towel was quickly placed over Ariella as well as Cedric.

  She got to her feet and listened to the sound of cheers of people around her, noticed the people smiling at Cedric and applauding but all Cedric could focus on was Ariella. His eyes were dilated, his mouth slightly opened and his shallow breaths he released as a sign of relief; he took a step closer to Ariella with his towel around covering his arms before he wrapped them around Ariella, his face covered both his face and Ariella’s, for the brief moment they were isolated by other’s face, it would have been hard to tell as droplets of water cascaded down his face but as Cedric let out a sound, it was clear that he broke down.

   “I was so worried about you.” He pulled away before he pulled Ariella close to his chest.  “Seriously, no one heard from you since yesterday afternoon, I spent the rest of the day looking for you.” Cedric mumbled.

  Ariella didn’t say a word. She was still half awake; in her dream she knew it was all an illusion, but now that she was awake, it hasn’t hit her that she has been asleep for more than eight hours. In Ariella’s defense, it wasn’t her fault; she had no say when it came to being a part of the challenge.

   “I’m sorry.” Ariella pushed Cedric away to look him in the face; she gave him a gentle smile to assure him that everything would be okay from now on. “But, you found me and you came in first!” She leaned in close and placed her forehead against his chin but she couldn’t shake off the uneasy feeling inside of her that Hermione, Ron and Gabrielle were still down below.

  Cedric brought Ariella to the front of the docks, his arms wrapped around both sides of her as he hugged her from the back as they waited for the other champions to surface. As the minutes passed, they watched and waited for any signs of motion; Fleur was attacked by Grindylows which made her surface without the completion of the task, an uneasy feeling rushed throughout her body knowing Gabrielle would remain down there the remaining champions surfaced. Fleur was in a state of shock; Ariella walked over and wrapped her arms around her, noticing the bites and scratches the Grindylows left.

   “Ariella, you’re here!” Fleur smiled but once she noticed that Ariella was dripping wet, a towel wrapped around her, her bottom lip trembled. None of the champions knew what was going to be taken from them but as the challenge commenced, it became clear to them and nothing but horror or relief expressed in their faces.

   “Don’t worry, Fleur. It’ll be fine.” Ariella rubbed her back as Fleur began to sob uncontrollably; she wasn’t upset knowing that she couldn’t finish but now knowing, she couldn’t protect and save her sister. She felt pathetic.

  The roared with cheer as Viktor surfaced with his head transfigured into a shark, he was more focused that he officially came in second rather than the fact Hermione was coughing her lungs out as she drank the lake water. Fleur kept a tight grip on Ariella’s hand as she waited for a miracle but Ariella knew what would happen. It was only Harry left under the water and two people waiting to be rescued. As the hour grew short, everyone especially Hermione and Ariella waited for Harry and Ron; they paid attention to the ripples of the water, the air bubbles released, their eyes completely focused.