Chapter Twenty-Four

The morning spent at the Diggory’s was warm and inviting, the breakfast Mrs. Diggory prepared tasted divine; she was tied for first when it came to Mrs. Weasley’s cooking. There were times where Mrs. Diggory made Ariella felt uncomfortable when she asked whether she had a boyfriend or not, when Ariella said no, she would give not so subtle hints towards Cedric. He politely told her to be quiet as he continued to eat; Mr. Diggory arrived halfway through breakfast with what he managed to salvage from the tent that they had to leave behind.

  Mrs. Diggory lit up as she saw her husband walk through the door, she greeted him with an open embrace; Arielle quickly looked down and tried to keep her mind focus that Mr. Diggory was home and not wander off in the past. Cedric was next to greet his Dad as he also welcomed him with an embrace; Ariella sat, she still had a hard time trying to get up as her ankle was still swollen from twisting it in the woods. Before they could bombard him with questions, they gave him a few minutes to eat but when he was close to finishing his meal, his bites became hesitant.

   “Did you find anything?” Cedric asked as his elbows rested on the wooden kitchen table, his body leaning forward yet his eyes focused on his Dad’s oil greased plate.

  Mr. Diggory slowly chewed a piece of sausage that he put in his mouth, he swallowed heavily and wiped his mouth before he lifted his head to look at his son who was lost in his curiosity, “Nothing that we need to worry about.”

   “Dad,” Cedric stood up and had his back facing Ariella and his parents. “You really expect me to believe that we have nothing to worry about? I saw, Ariella saw, we all saw that mark in the sky. And those people.” He turned around and leaned against the counter a few inches away from the dining table.

   “Veronica, can you take Ariella to the other room?” Mr. Diggory said as he glanced towards his wife. She was hesitant but she followed his orders and took Ariella by her hand and supported her back as she escorted her to the other room.

  Mrs. Diggory sat Ariella down on the couch and looked back to see her husband blocking a view of Cedric. She looked worried but with Ariella in the room, she had to do her part as a host and entertain which Ariella found unnecessary.

   “You don’t need to worry, dear. I’m sure the Ministry is taking care of it.” Mrs. Diggory smiled as she sat down beside Ariella with her hands fidgeting with her pearl necklace.

  Ariella didn’t say anything, she replied with a smile. In all honesty, Ariella wasn’t as worried as before knowing that her friends were safe. However, there was the possibility something was going to cause an uproar in the Ministry. Ariella looked away from Mrs. Diggory and fidgeted with her hands; Mrs. Diggory quickly picked up as Ariella shied away.

   “I always wanted a Daughter.” She blurted out. Ariella’s heart skipped a beat; she raised her head and turned to face Mrs. Diggory who gently caressed her face. It’s been a long time since Ariella has felt this kind of compassion from a parent. “I love Cedric but a Mother could only hope.” She smiled.

   “It’s fine.” Ariella finally released her voice.

   “I do apologize for what I said over breakfast. It’s just that, Cedric never talks about girls and I can’t help but wonder if he doesn’t know how to approach them.” She admitted.

  A smile quickly formed on Ariella’s face from Mrs. Diggory’s confession.

   “Cedric is a really sweet guy, you have raised a wonderful son and he’s quite the gentleman.” Ariella said proudly.

  Mrs. Diggory lit up to Ariella’s words; it was always refreshing to hear from another that they’re doing a good job with their child. Mrs. Diggory began to ask questions about how Cedric was at school but Ariella couldn’t answer many, considering they only spoke once in Third year. This was her first time actually getting to know Cedric. Mr. Diggory and Cedric entered the living room with confused expression plastered on their faces as they watch Mrs. Diggory gushing over Ariella; when Cedric heard his name in their conversation, he quickly interrupted, afraid and embarrassed for what his mother might reveal.