Didn't See That Coming

5th December (McKenna 30wks and 0days)

Matty's POV

Sums and I have been on the road for almost six weeks and travelled 1251km since leaving home. It's been great so far and as much as we enjoying our time alone, we are seriously missing our babies back home. We are currently in Lakes Entrance and have been here since Tuesday and it's beautiful. It's getting to the point where we get that comfortable, we don't want to leave but the anticipation of heading to the next town creeps in. That new place we will be leaving for tomorrow is Ulladulla, no doubt just as good. Such a beautiful country we live in.

It was around that time that Sums and I check in with one of the kids and see how our grandbabies are going. It's taken some time to get used to none of them just walking in and making noise. As loud as they are, I miss that the most along with their kisses and cuddles. It's also good having my wife alone, I've been making sure our sex life stays strong. She shouldn't complain, she initiates half of it anyways, it's just like when we were first dating. Before we started our big, beautiful family.

"What time to you think we are leaving in the morning babe?" Sums asked as she joined me out under the awning. Our home currently has an awesome view of the water and it's just so calm and relaxing here listening to the waves crashing on the shore. The smell of the breeze, the sounds of the birds, this is what we were hoping for. It's our last destination before we start of our journey up the whole East Coast until we reach the top. This is what I've been waiting for.

"It's about five hundred kilometres from here, there's no rush so I was thinking about eight or nine." I smiled and sat back into the chair. Yesterday we had taken a drive up to the Snowy Mountains, definitely want to come back and see it covered in snow. I might plan on doing that for our thirtieth wedding anniversary, well it'll be taken a little early as we were married in spring but it will be just as good.

"Good. So you ready to call and make sure our house is still in one piece?" she asked as she sat beside me, the tablet ready in her hands for our video calls back home. Tonight we are calling Jace. We had gone from calling them all in the one night but that soon got too hard as some would never stop talking. Specially Izzy, she loves to talk that little princess of mine and then when she was done it was almost too late to call anyone else. So that's why we told them from now on, we'd call one kid per night, plus we can still ask how the others are going. That's why we started the rotation system.

"Yep, go ahead and dial." I smiled and she sat the tablet up so they'd be able to see us clear. This is a whole new experience in watching our grandchildren grow up, but at least this way we won't miss out on seeing them at all. Jace answered and we could see that he was moving the camera around so that it was in a good spot. Last night speaking to Brax, he had hinted that Jace had some big news. What, I don't know but I'm going to make sure I find something out tonight. Izzy had said something similar as well and since then, I've been itching to call him.

"Hey Dad, hey Mum." he grinned and waved, Sums was grinning and was now sitting on the edge of her seat. I smiled and looked at my sons face, he sure looks a hell of a lot happier than last week when we spoke with him. And last week he had his girls home.

"Hey son, what's got you looking all happy and grinning like an idiot?" I asked and Sums turned to face me and slapped my leg. She's such a mean wife sometimes. His grin picked up a little more and his eyes were bright and he just looked completely different. Whatever or whoever has got him like that, needs to keep doing it.

"Come on, they won't bite." he chuckled and held his hand out for someone. I raised my brow and glanced at Sums and she too gave me the same curious look. Jace then picked up his tablet and walked over to the other side of the room and all we could see was his light coloured carpet as he swung the device as he walked. When it stopped I sat up a little closer when I heard a woman's whispered voice.