17.

"It's Lupin, isn't it, Lupin is the guy you've been seeing," Cissa said as soon as they reached the empty girls bathroom.

"No."

"Yes it is."

"No it's not."

"Yes."

"No."

"Maeve-"

"Why do you even think it's him?" Maeve demanded.

"Maeve, love, I saw how he was looking at you," Cissa said softly, "and I saw how you were looking at him...and how you exploded the birds when they were running away so they didn't get hurt. That was the last tip off for me."

"Oh," was all Maeve could say.

She leaned on a sink, trying to figure out what to say. How does she explain this? And more importantly, how does she persuade Cissa not to tell anyone else?

"Do you love him?"

Love?

She had never really thought about love.

Sure, she had heard the word before, and she had fancied people before but she never knew if she had felt love. People sang about it, wrote about it...even painted pictures about it. And they always made it seem like it was the most magical thing in the world.

Had she ever felt that?

"I don't know," was her response.

"I mean...what even are you guys?" Cissa asked, coming over to stand by Maeve, "are you fucking? Just fooling around?"

"He's my boyfriend," Maeve said quietly.

"Wait, what?" Cissa choked out, "you never have boyfriends-"

"Look, I'm so sorry Cissa," Maeve gripped one of Cissa's hands desperately, "please don't tell anyone. Please. This could fucking end my life. Please don't tell anyone I really-"

But Cissa interrupted her by pulling her into a hug.

"I'm really happy for you," Cissa said softly.

"Oh," Maeve pulled away, "thank you."

"And don't worry, I won't say anything, what are best friends for?" Cissa grinned.

"Merlin, really?" Maeve asked, shocked.

"Of course," Cissa said, "we both know your life would be over - literally or not - if anyone found out. I wouldn't do that to you."

Maeve grinned and pulled Cissa into a hug again, until she heard:

"On one condition."

"Yes?" Maeve slowly pulled away from Cissa.

"I need you to help me with some...magic."

"Care to be more specific?"

"Occlumency."

"And why would I have any idea about that, Cis?" Maeve laughed slightly.

Cissa linked arms with Maeve and led her out of the bathroom, they walked back to the Slytherin common room.

"Because it's said that the Dark Lord can smell a traitor from a mile...but he definitely doesn't know about you and Remus because he would have probably killed you for being with a non-pure blood." Cissa said quickly, "I've been meaning to ask you about it for a while though. You've always seemed mentally strong."