15.

"I'm fine, Remus."

"No, you're not."

"Please, Remus."

Remus had found Maeve, sitting by the black lake in the early hours of the morning. He had been out on a morning walk, to clear his head and really because he couldn't sleep this time of the month...but Maeve didn't know that part.

"You've been crying," He said quietly.

"I'm okay," She held his warm hand for comfort, for anything.

He squeezed her hand in his. His hand was rough and calloused, and had big scars up them...but she really really didn't care.

"Please, can't you at least tell me what happened?" He almost pleaded, as he held both her hands in his now.

"No, I can't."

He looked at her for a moment, but then looked down and gently brought her smaller hands to his lips for a second and pressed a kiss to them.

When he pulled away he asked, "is there anything I can do to help? To make you feel better?"

"I don't wanna say 'hold me' or anything cliche like that but-"

But he interrupted her pulling her close, his arms wrapped tight around her, and pressing her to his body in some attempt to help her with whatever she was going through.

"I got you," He whispered in her ear.

But did he?

She thought about how he would change that statement when he found out she was a death eater, when he saw her tattoo. It would be summer soon, long-sleeves would be suspicious.

"Remus I'm a death eater."

Silence. He pulled away from her.

"What?" He asked, his voice quiet.

"I'm a death eater...but I had no choice, please believe me Remus...I'm telling you this because..."

"Because what?"

"Because you care about me, and I think you're the only person that I can tell the whole truth to. The only person who won't use it to get me killed."

"They'd kill you?" Remus asked.

"Yes, they would," Maeve felt another stupid tear slip from her eye, "most of the Slytherins were told they would be a death eater over the summer, we were told by our parents that they would disown us if we denied it, and by the dark lord that we would die if we denied it."

And this was the truth. Maeve had never said this, had never talked about how she truly felt about this, for fear of persecution.

"But...death eaters murder people, merlin they torture...they kill muggleborns just because of their blood...and you're a part of that?" Remus massaged his temples.

"I haven't done any of that, shit I've only attended one proper meeting right now," She said, "and I don't want to kill anyone. I think murder is pointless...and I think blood supremacy is pointless. I've never said a bad word against muggleborns or anything like that."

"But you're complacent, which is basically just as bad," Remus said, shaking his head.

Her eyes filled with tears, the reality of the person that she had been hitting her.

"I know. I fucking hate myself."

And then she broke down.