59.

"Hope, would you like some more water?"

"Oh yes please, Maeve."

"I'll bring it up for you," Maeve smiled at the woman.

Hope had been in bed for most of the day with a painful headache and nausea, and the family had been taking it in turns to help her out. According to Remus, Hope was prone to regular migraines and was often unwell and bed-ridden. Maeve had grown to care for the woman over the past week or so that she had been living with them, feeling as if she was really becoming part of the family.

She walked to the kitchen, where Remus was drinking some coffee and reading the Daily Prophet.

"Alright?" She asked, pecking him on the cheek as she passed him.

Grabbing a glass, she bent over the counter and flicked on the tap to fill it up.

She looked over at Remus squinting at the smaller writing in the newspaper.

"You need glasses, love," Maeve said, turning off the tap.

"I would look so stupid in glasses," He told her.

"You'd look adorable. Kiss?" She pecked him to on the lips, "I'll be right back."

She grabbed the full glass off the side and walked up the stairs, a small smile on her face.

"Hey, Hope, I got the water," Maeve said, walking into the room.

"Oh, thank you, dear," Hope smiled gratefully, taking the glass.

Maeve sat down on the chair next to the bed, "Has the headache eased up at all?"

"A bit. The water helps, of course. I just have to wait for it to pass," Hope smiled reassuringly, but Maeve couldn't help but notice the flicker of pain in the woman's eyes.

"Hope, have you ever read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland?" Maeve asked.

"I watched the movie with Remus when he was younger, but I've never read the book, no," Hope admitted.

"I think you would really like it, it's incredibly well-written, and really very strange. I love it," Maeve grinned.

"I'm sure I'd like it too," Hope smiled kindly, "When was it written?"

"Oh, mid 19th century, I think," Maeve said.

"Oh dear, me and old literature aren't friends. Too many long words, I think," Hope said, shuddering slightly.

"I promise you, it's not like other old books," Maeve giggled, "Why not give it a go? Trust me, it's amazing escapism, it might distract you when you feel ill."

"I guess that's a fair point," Hope nodded, smiling, "I don't have a copy though, but I could always ask Lyall to find one in the local library."

"Oh no, don't worry about that!" Maeve exclaimed, before grinning, "You should borrow my copy. It's one of my most treasured items."

"Oh, well then I'd be afraid to damage it-"

"Don't be. A pristine book has no character, it hasn't been lived, read throughly enough," Maeve said, before standing up, "Let me go grab it for you. I promise you'll love it."

Maeve bounced out of the room happily. She got to her and Remus' room just in time to see an owl fly out of the window, having left a letter behind. She saw the crimson-coloured wax seal had a phoenix on it, and immediately pocketed it, before grabbing Alice in Wonderland off of her bedside table and leaving the room.

"Here you go," Maeve handed the precious book over.

"Thank you," Hope took it carefully, scanning the cover.