Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Hi! This one shot takes place during Age Of Ultron, where they were paired up to sleep. It also deals with PTSD, so if you're sensitive to that please read with care.

If you guys want me to make a smut one shot based on them being roommates, let me know!

Steve trudged into the room, leaning his shield against the wall with a sigh.

"Hey Capsicle." Tony said from the bathroom, pulling a shirt over his head. His brown curls were damp and messy. Steve sat on the edge of the bed, looking up at the ceiling.

"Tore us apart like cotton candy. We're supposed to be the Avengers, Earth's mightiest heroes, and a few dreams ruined us." Steve sighed, causing Tony to stop whatever he was doing.

"You know, they weren't just dreams, I think they were nightmares. Our biggest fear." Tony said, voice slightly muffled by the toothbrush in the corner of his mouth.

"Yeah." Steve replied.

Tony turned back around, going to reach for the cabinet. The door swung open, falling off and causing the contents to spill out with it, making a huge crash on the floor.

"Shit!" Tony yelled.

Steve shot up, suddenly panicking. His breathing became uneven and he clutched his chest, gasping for air, desperately trying to fill his empty lungs. His eyes were unfocused, his vision overexposed and blurry, blending reality and visions from his past. He fell to his knees, one hand gripping the fabric of his uniform and one pressed into the wooden floor, curling around the solid boards.

"Capsicle? You alright?" Tony said, turning around to see Steve on the floor, tears streaming from his eyes and chest heaving up and down while his hands gripped at his uniform in desperation.

"Steve." Tony said, falling to his knees beside the super soldier. Steve pounded his fist into the floor, squeezing his eyes shut. Tony hesitantly wrapped his arms around him, and Steve lashed out, flailing his limbs around, trying desperately to get out of Tony's tight grasp.

"Steve! Steve! It's okay, you're alright. You're safe, I have you. You'll feel better in a second, I promise." Tony repeated. Steve began to slow down, sinking into Tony's embrace. His body shook violently as he sobbed, reaching his hand out to grip Tony's arm. His sobs interrupted his broken whispering.

"Bucky, no Bucky no." Steve whispered, sobbing louder into Tony's chest. Tony ran his hand through the soldiers hair, stroking him in comforting movements.

"I'm sorry." Steve whispered, and Tony shook his head.

"No. You do not get to apologize. None of this was your fault." Tony said.

"The s-sound, it sounded like the b-bar falling off the train when b-Bucky died." Steve stuttered out, and the pieces clicked in Tony's brain.

"M-my doctor said something about a s-stress d-disorder, or something..." Steve started.

"PTSD, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Common in soldiers and veterans, or anyone who has gone through a traumatic experience. It happened to me after New York." Tony interrupted, and Steve looked up at him, eyes glistening.

"S-so I'm not the only one? I'm not a f-freak or something?" Steve asked, and Tony shook his head.

"You're not a freak Steve." Tony said.

"T-tony?" Steve asked.

"Yeah?"

"I love you." Steve said, snuggling into Tony with a sigh.

Tony was in shock. Steve loved him? Steve loved him back?

"I love you too." Tony replied.

"Really?" Steve said, innocently.

"Positive." Tony replied.