It Wasn't Your Fault

Ooo, you get a third one todayyy. I really wanted to post this one because I'm personally really proud of it.

so this takes place during Age of Ultron, and it's a sad one. :(((

Warning: character death

Tony stared in shock at his teammates still body. Her eyes were vacant where there used to be a gleam, her skin pale and cold to the touch.

Dammit Romanoff

Tony's suit was battered up, it had taken most of the blows after the huge fight. When bullets were fired from the huge alien ships, Tony was too late to save Natasha.

Tony tensed as he felt two strong arms dressed in tattered blue fabric wrap around him, pulling him into a tight embrace.

"Dammit." Steve mumbled, leaning his shield against them. Steve's hands caressed the broken metal of Tony's suit, before laying still on the glowing blue centre of it.

"If I had been two seconds faster..." Tony whispered.

"No, no, no doll, don't blame yourself for this." Steve said, spinning Tony around to face him.

"Wanda tried, and she couldn't either." Steve said, leaning his forehead against Tony's.

"I know, but I could've... shit this is all my fault." Tony's choked on a sob, a tear leaking out of his eye.

"No, Tony, baby listen to me. None of this was your fault. It's not your fault. Nobody blames you." Steve said, gently wiping away Tony's tears.

"They should." Tony said, shaking as his legs tried to give way.

"No, Tony baby, nobody does or ever will, you here me?" Steve was crying now, which only made Tony feel worse.

Steve pulled Tony into his chest, and the smaller man sighed at the warmth.

"I'm going to miss her." Tony whispered.

"Me too." Steve replied, tousling Tony's curls.

A week later

Tony fiddled with his tie in the mirror, sighing heavily.

Steve came up behind him, adjusting the jacket of Tony's suit one last time before kissing the top of Tony's head.

"You ready?" Steve said softly.

"I think." Tony said, taking Steve's hand and walking out the door.

All Tony saw was a sea of black as he walked down through everyone, Steve's hand intertwined with his.

Steve was carrying a bouquet of flowers, and Tony held a stone plaque with words engraved in scribbly cursive.

Natasha Romanoff
Beloved friend, teammate and avenger.
1984- 2015

Tony placed the plaque on the ground, leaning it against the fir tree Natasha loved. Steve carefully laid the bouquet down in front, tracing his hand down the plaque.

"Goodbye." Steve whispered.

They sat down in their chairs, in the front row by the podium. Clint got up to speak, laying his flowers down before.

"Natasha was, a great friend, a great teammate. I thought of her as my sister. I loved her..." Clint started.

Steve tuned out of the rest of Clint's speech. Tony's hand was trembling in his, shaking as he tried to hold back sobs.

"Shhh, baby, you're ok." Steve whispered, throwing an arm around the smaller man.

Tony snuggled into Steve's chest, sobbing, his hot tears soaking into Steve's button up.

Steve held on tighter, and Tony clung to him, the smaller man shaking violently as he cried.

"I got you, baby I got you." Steve whispered, running his hands through Tony's hair.

"I know." Tony whispered.

Steve knew Tony still blamed himself, Tony blames himself for just about everything. He didn't need too. Steve didn't, the rest of the team didn't. Nobody at SHIELD did. Yet Tony did. Steve wanted more then anything to grab Tony and shake him furiously and tell him it wasn't his fault until Tony believed it. But not now. Steve would make sure later.

The funeral ended, leaving everyone to dinner in the tower. Tony headed up to his room though. He wanted to be alone. Nobody wanted the killer at the funeral anyways.

Steve noticed Tony was missing from the dinner.

He's probably in his room.

Steve headed into the elevator, going up to Tony's floor.

He walked into the doorway, seeing Tony sitting on the bed, curled into himself sobbing.

"Tony baby? Why are you crying?" Steve said, walking towards Tony.

"Go away Steve!" Tony yelled, sobbing harder. Steve refused to move.

"Tony what's wrong?" Steve pushes again.

"I can't go to the dinner Steve!" Tony practically yelled, catching Steve off guard.

"Why?" Steve said, concern laced in his voice.

"Because! Nobody wants the killer at the fucking funeral!" Tony stood up, trying to run for the door.

"Tony wait!" Steve said, grabbing Tony's arm and forcing him to sit back down.

"Who said you killed her?" Steve said, still pinning Tony down.

"I did! I let her die! It's my fault! I'm the killer!" Tony screamed, squirming in Steve's strong grip.

"Tony baby, calm down." Steve said.

"No! I deserve to be dead!" Tony yelled.

That single sentence broke Steve's heart into a million pieces. Imagining a life without Tony, or Tony not living his made Steve fall apart.

"Tony no, don't say that." Steve said, barely making out the words.

"It's true." Tony said, choking on a sob.

"No it isn't, Tony, it's not your fault. It's nobody's fault. I love you. I love you so much. Yes, Natasha's dead, and yes, you might've been able to save her. But you're alive. You're still alive now." Steve cupped Tony's face, feeling the warm tears spill into his hands.

"It's not your fault." Steve whispered, kissing Tony softly, his own tears mixing with the smaller mans.

They pulled away, and Steve pulled Tony in, squeezing him as tight as he could without hurting the fragile man.

Tony sobbed into Steve's shoulder, soaking the jacket completely.

"Let's skip dinner, you need time." Steve whispered, bringing Tony to lie down with him.

Tony cuddled into Steve, still crying.

The room fell silent, Steve lying in bed with Tony in his arms, the smaller man's hiccups occasionally breaking the silence, and everyone Steve would squeeze tighter, reassuring Tony.

It's not your fault.