Just a Call

Steve put his head in his hands. The Avengers had just come back from a failed mission, and it was pretty much his fault.

Tony and him had gotten into a fight in the middle of the mission, causing everything to go downhill. They've been on the team together for two years already and still couldn't work together very well.

Steve hated when they fought. He could handle insults and yelling, but it hurt extra when coming from Tony. It was due to the fact that he had fallen for the billionaire a few months ago.

The sound of the door opening snapped Steve out of his trance, and he glanced at the small figure in the door. Tony was standing there, grim smile on his face as he shit the door lightly, sitting down across from Steve. Steve's heart skipped a beat, and he stared at the genius.

Tony stared back, at a loss for words. What was he supposed to say? 'Sorry I insulted you, it was mainly to cover up my feelings, because I'm so deeply in love with you I can't dig myself out?'

"H-hi." Steve stuttered out finally, catching Tony's attention.

"Hey." Tony said, tearing his gaze away from Steve's baby blue eyes.

"So, Fury wanted me to talk to you, do some bonding shit after we fucked up the mission pretty badly." Tony said, and Steve felt a pang in his heart.

"Um, ok?" Steve said, and Tony sighed.

"So we're playing twenty questions. But not the simple shit, the deeper stuff." Tony said, and Steve froze in fear, afraid he would let something slip.

"You go first." Tony said, smiling excitedly. Steve thought for a while, thinking of a question that wasn't too personal, knowing how much Tony hated talking about his personal life.

"Dream Vacation?" Steve said, and Tony laughed.

"Cancun. It's where my mother used to take me during a bad week at home." Tony said, and Steve could see the pain in his eyes.

"Alright, what's something you miss most about the forties?" Tony said, changing the subject quite quickly.

"Oh, um." Steve thought about it for a few moments.

"I'm sorry, was that too far? God I'm so stupid." Tony said, burying his head in his hands.

"Tony, hey, you did nothing wrong, I'm thinking of an answer, that's all." Steve said, reaching across the table and rubbing Tony's arm sympathetically, hoping it wasn't too weird. The touch left a trail of fireworks across Tony's skin. Steve pulled his hand away, and Tony looked up again.

"Probably the peacefulness. Don't get me wrong, there were a lot of things wrong with the world back then, and I hated that, but there were no alien attacks or fancy technology I don't understand." Steve chuckled.

"What things did you hate about it then?" Tony asked, intrigued. He never really got a glimpse into Steve's old life.

"Well, it was very restricting. A lot of people were put down for who they are. I would've been very frowned upon if they knew what I was back then." Steve sighed.

"Oh? What do you mean?" Tony asked, confused.

"Well lets just say I wasn't allowed to love who I wanted to love." Steve said, staring into Tony's eyes. Tony was still confused, but decided not to push Steve.

"Ok, your turn to ask me." Tony said.

"No, I think I like you asking the questions, you're much more creative." Steve shrugged, and Tony smiled, thinking of the perfect question.

"Fine, do you love anybody?" Tony asked. Steve's face went instantly red, and he stared at his shuffling feet.

"Yeah." Steve muttered, barely audible.

"Well who?!" Tony asked excitedly. Steve shot up, turning an even deeper shade of red.

"Um..." Steve said, thinking of a cover up.

"You don't have to tell me, just call them." Tony said, sliding Steve's phone that was sitting on the table towards him. Steve picked it up, hesitantly.

"Are you sure?" Steve asked before dialing.

"Yes! Do it!" Tony said excitedly. Steve went redder, pressing the button and holding it up to his ear.

Tony felt his pocket vibrate. He picked up his phone, not thinking anything of it and answering the call.

"Hello?" Tony asked. The voice was soft through the phone, nervous and trembling.

"I love you." Steve said. Tony lowered his arm, staring in shock. He pressed the end call button, mouth almost hanging open as Steve desperately ached for an answer.

"Y-you do?" Tony stuttered. Steve only nodded, staring at his feet. Tony walked over, lifting Steve's chin. Coffee brown met baby blue as they stared at each other, in awe of the sight.

Tony leaned in, pressing a soft kiss to Steve's lips. He lingered there for a moment before pulling away and opening his eyes. The smaller man leaned his forehead against Steve's, whispering four words into his ears.

"I love you too."