7

Beyoncé Knowles
Wednesday, June 21, 2017
Day Before the NBA Draft

My 4:00 AM alarm went off on my phone.

I figured while I had the access, I would get up and hit the hotel gym for a small workout. As much as this weekend is about my brother, I still have to keep my head focused on my future. I've had a lot of surprise media conferences about where I'm playing ever since I set foot in New York.

Last night, the crew and I went out for pizza at a famous pizzeria called Lucali's in Brooklyn. It was really good, but for some reason my concern was for Shawn. Will could see that as well. Shawn came in late with no one knowing his whereabouts from before. Lauren hasn't told me anything, as she's been just as pissed, but I'll eventually find out.

I ran into my bodyguard, Julius, who was already standing outside the gym door. I used my key to get inside. Just as I was shutting the door, I saw a familiar, chocolate physique sitting on the end of the bench press in the corner.

It was Shawn.

He looked up from his phone, glad to see me.

"Uh hey, sorry. I didn't know you were in here." I said. "Can we share the gym?"

"Yeah, go head." He nodded.

I placed my water bottle on the chair along with my phone. The whole time I felt Shawn's eyes all over me. I didn't look in his direction, I just simply placed my AirPods in my ear and started a slow pace on the treadmill.

About halfway into "Big Ole Freak", Shawn came joined me on the machine beside me. I paused my music, "You tryna copy me?"

"No, just getting my cardio in. I'm about to leave." He replied.

"I'm just joking. Um...you alright? You weren't talking at all at dinner." I said. "You had me kinda worried."

"I had you worried?" He smiled. "I'm sorry."

"Don't think too much of that." I rolled my eyes playfully. "I don't want you in a bad mood for tomorrow. It's supposed to be fun and exciting."

"I know, but....I'm not gone be in a good mood as long as my mother's there. It's just not gonna happen."

"So it does have something to do with your Mom? I figured." I said. "What happened?"

"Lauren told me she gave her a pass to get in the draft under my guest list. She felt like she deserved to be here and I told her she doesn't and I'm not changing my fucking mind."

I thought to myself for a second.

"Shawn, I know you've been through a lot with your mother and close family, but this is a big moment in your life. Your Mama tried her best to take care of you. I'm no-."

He cut the treadmill off and grabbed his things and stormed out the room. What in the hell is his problem? Maybe he knows something I don't. I stopped my machine and ran after him. I caught the elevator.

"Beyoncé, just leave me alone." He gritted through his teeth.

"I'm sorry. Did I say something wrong?"

"Yeah, you did." He glared.

I didn't say anything the whole ride up to our floor. Julius met us just as soon as the elevator opened. I grabbed Shawn's hand, using my key to open my room door. I snapped the second lock over the crack to keep anyone from coming in.

"Sit down." I pointed to the bed.

He did.

"What happened?"