4

Shawn Carter
Monday / June 19, 2017
3 Days Until the NBA Draft

"Shawn, over here. Nick from Los Angeles Sports. As the days get closer to the draft, how are you feeling?" He asked.

"Uh....I'm feeling a little bit of everything. I'm excited, nervous, anxious, everything. I'm mostly excited though. This is a drama come true." He said.

"And one more, how are you liking LA?"

"I'm loving it. The people and fans are already so welcoming. The city is beautiful as well, so I'm really looking forward getting back here." I replied.

"Shawn, right here. Mike from LA Times Sports. In a recent interview you had back in Texas, you were asked about the journey to get here, the people who pushed you and just your overall effort to be where you at this very moment. Without hesitation, you said your older sister, Lauren. In what ways has she helped you get to where you are and where can you see you two after you get drafted?"

I took me a minute to answer cause the topic can sometimes be touchy for me.

"Um..." I sighed deeply. "My sister...has been like a mother to me....since my first year of high school. Before I moved to Houston to live with her, I was homeless with no money back in New York, in and out the house with my mother. I won't get into that, but...my sister was calling me every day since the day I could talk. If I felt like no one cared about me, I knew she did. She had problems of her own that she put aside to do what was best for me and....I can't thank her enough."

I shook my head.

"She pushed me." I simply said. "She worked from 1 PM to 1 AM to come home and get me up at 2 AM to do basketball drills outside or run up the street and back before it was time for me to catch the bus to school. We were doing things that had the cops patrolling our neighborhood cause we were so loud. Sometimes I felt like she wanted it more than me."

Everyone laughed aloud.

"But...I wouldn't be here right now without that motivation and her believing in me the way she did and still does. It was hard." I said. "And it still is. She's still home right now working to make sure the bills are paid. I know she wouldn't want me to say that on live TV, but....I want her to know that I'mma take that weight off her shoulders once I get drafted and start working. I owe her everything and more. She deserves it. Shoutout to my sister, Lauren Reeves. I love you, sis! Thank you!"

After a couple more questions, we wrapped it up. By that time, it was lunchtime. I had left my brothers at the hotel to sleep. I figured they'd want to since I didn't know how long the press conference would take. By the looks of their Instagram stories, they've found things to do, considering the hotel has a bowling alley, arcade and restaurant.

"Shawn, grab you a plate or two." I heard a familiar voice say.

I turned to see Beyoncé's father, Mathew Knowles.

"Hey, how you doing, sir?" I chuckled, shaking his head.

"I'm great. It's good to see you. How's the LA trip going for you?" He asked.

"Great. Thank you!" I told him.

"I'm glad you're liking it. Uh...where you headed?" He asked.

"Back to the hotel to pack up my things. I leave tomorrow afternoon so I wanna enjoy my last couple of hours before I head to New York for my last press conference before the game." I said.

"Oh okay, well I was gonna invite you out to my house in Beverly Hills tonight so we can get to know each other a little better. I know you're close to my kids, but a little connection between the two of us wouldn't hurt would it?" He said.

"Um...I'm not really with Beyoncé anymore, though," I replied hesitantly.

"I'm aware." He replied. "I talk to her often. That's not why I'm inviting you. I still think we should get to know each other. For your careers sake. Maybe my daughter's sake in the future. Who knows? You're welcome to come on over. I gave Marvin my address and phone number. Hopefully, you'll agree."

I didn't know if this man was trying to play with me or if he was serious, but I felt very uncomfortable.

"Uh...what time?"

He shrugged, "Uh say....7 PM. We can have dinner. And let's keep this between us."

I nodded slowly, "Right. Uh....I'll be there."

"See you later!"

Now as long as I've known Beyoncé, I've never had a full conversation with the man. I just met him, he had a couple questions and that's it. It just makes me wonder what he has planned for this invite other than dinner.

When I got back in the truck, Lauren began calling.

"Hello." I answered.

"Hey, why do you have me crying at work?" She sniffed. "I had to fucking step out."

I chuckled, "My bad. Why you watching at work?"

"Cause I'm at my desk until 6 PM and they have the big screen on. I didn't know the interview was on until Cassie called me." She said.

"Oh, well I'm glad you watched it. It ain't nothing you ain't already heard before." I said.

"I know, but it pretty sure it was you getting emotional that made me emotional." She sighed deeply. "I love you so much."

"I love you too. Okay, so listen." I said.

"What?"

"Don't tell nobody I told you this, especially Beyoncé or Clarence, but," I started. "I ran into their Dad, Mathew Knowles, after my press conference and the man invited me to his house tonight for dinner. Explain that shit."

Silence.

"Um....what did you do?" She asked.

"I didn't do shit." I said. "What if he murders me for cheating on Beyoncé?"

"Nigga." She mumbled.

"I'm just saying."

"If he murders you, I'll sue him for everything he has and at least me and your bothers will be straight even though we'll be grieving your loss." She said.

"Man, fuck y'all." I chuckled, she laughed.

"I'm joking, but just see what he wants. Be respectful and don't say no slick shit cause you are joining his team. Relax and talk to the man. Can't be that bad."

"I guess. I'll kept you posted. Just have your phone on you. I'll call you when I leave." I said.

"Okay, wait," She said. "Who is this Alaina girl you calling beautiful on Instagram? You getting hoes already?"

I chuckled, "Who wanna know?"

"Me nigga." She said.

"Chill, I met her at a restaurant. He brother wanted a pic and just kinda talked. She fine as hell though," I said.

"You really have a type. Don't forget what the fuck you went there to do. You don't need to be caught up with females before you can even get started with your priorities after you get drafted. You're gonna be hella busy and you won't have time for that shit." She explained.

"Aight, chill sis. I know. I'm not gone get caught up."

"Okay, I'mma remember that. I gotta go. Call me afterwards to tell me how it went. I'mma call the boys. Love you, bye!"

"Love you too. Bye."

I hung up the phone, just to look up and see we made it back to the hotel. I went up to the suite where the boys were chilling eating wings while watching Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse. I gave them a little head nod, immediately went to eat my food, pack my shit up and took a nap before I had to head to Mr. Knowles' house.

________________
Thanks for reading! ❤️

🧱 Thoughts on Shawn getting emotional about Lauren and everything she's done?

🧱 What does Mr. Knowles really want with Shawn?